New Contributor

Actually created as a message to Catholics during Tudor monarchy when they were being persecuted by Henry and Elizabeth.  Each item represented something.  Wasn't a bird thing.  

Respected Contributor

Re: 12 days of Christmas song.

[ Edited ]

@daughterthree wrote:

Actually created as a message to Catholics during Tudor monarchy when they were being persecuted by Henry and Elizabeth.  Each item represented something.  Wasn't a bird thing.  

I'm sorry to be a downer, but your comment is not thought to be correct.  Please check Snopes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

never liked that song....glad my 'true love' never gave me any of those gifts!

Honored Contributor

I like that it reminds us that the days are those between Christmas and January 6, the day, it is said, when the three wise men reached Bethlehem. 

The Maths of the 12 Days of Christmas | by Oxford University | Oxford  University | Medium

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

It would cost you over 40,000 to buy it all this year...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the song. Over the years, all my choirs  (from children to senior citizens) performed it in the following manner.

First, I would divide everyone into four groups, assigning each group to three days (one group was all boys/men--I always had way more females, and they formed three groups). Then we would start singing, with just one specific group singing "a partridge in a pear tree," or "five gold rings. . .whatever. Each group would also do a small move/gesture.

When we got to the sixth day/item, I would speed the song up a bit. Each day following that, I would speed it up a little bit more (the gestures would also speed up).

By the eleventh day, it was very FAST. 

The last time through, I would gradually slow it down (from 4 down to 1). The moves would do the same thing.

I LOVE THIS VERSION because it's a rather tedious song to sing, but having so many groups to watch and listen to really spruces things up.

Audiences LOVE IT.