Trusted Contributor

Re: why don't nordstrom sell dooney and bourke

I live in Southern California. The Nordstrom Rack has a fair selection of Dooney Bags. For several years I would often stumble upon only one.  The last 2 years I find them all the time.  Maybe they are what is left over,  I do know that NR gets many "made for outlet" Kate Spade bags because I know what products are found in the KS boutiques as opposed to the outlets. Sometimes it is a mix of the two. Perhaps NR gets the Dooneys from the outlets?  Nordtrom women seem to go for Tory Burch, Ferragamo, Chloe. Kate Soade-the higher range.  Now that I am thinking about it, I saw a decent selection of Dooneys this summer in my Nordstrom.  Could it be the area you live in?

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2So glad you said that because I was sure I saw a Dooney collection in April when I was in Nordstrom. 

Just when I think I've lost my mind, someone finds it for me.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

I wasn't aware Nordstrom quit selling D & B.  I have purchased them in the past.  

Regular Contributor

thanks for the replies,I was just checking on the nordstrom site, 0 results. I don't have a store near me, but that's ok,good night everybody

Honored Contributor

@tashy wrote:

thanks for the replies,I was just checking on the nordstrom site, 0 results. I don't have a store near me, but that's ok,good night everybody

@tashy To answer your question, I think the response about product saturation is the most likely cause. Nordstrom has long seen itself as a 'cut above' department store and my guess is that in order to try to retain that sort of self-image, they prefer to limit offering brands that have become so widely available. In the past, I too had purchased Dooney bags at Nordstrom but it appears they were gradually phased out in favor of other brands...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

From 1970 into the 1990's all Dooney & Bourke handbags and wallets were ALL make in the USA.

Dooney & Bourke, then moved their production and manufacturing out of the USA and over seas to China...

I personally believe, when the company decided to due this...The quality and workmanship of their handbags and wallets is just not the same. This is when I stopped buying their handbags.  

It probably cost $28.00 to make that $498.00 Dooney & Bourke Handbag that is made China!  

Why then not just go to Walmart...All their handbags are made in China.  With the most expensive probably around $24.00 

I would have no problem paying that price $498.00...

If the handbags and wallets were still...

MADE IN THE USA...Employing "Americans"!!!

Using your example, the markup is 95% if i did the math right on that Dooney bag.  Using your figure on the cost of the Walmart bag, the cost to make the Walmart $24 bag is about $1.25.  This means the Dooney bag made in China is about 22 times better than the walmart bag.  Just saying, you get what you pay for.  Walmart aint selling dooney quality bags for $24.

I'm not sure what either of her posts has to do with the question posed, but all right... whatever...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Also here is another interesting fact about "Bourke"... Yes, of "Dooney & Bourke"...

Conspiracy and bribery conviction of Bourke[edit]

On July 9, 2009, Frederic Bourke was found guilty by a jury and convicted of conspiracy and bribery under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Travel Act in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.[2] Bourke was convicted of conspiring with a Czech national, Viktor Kožený, also known as "Pirate of Prague"[3] to pay bribes to the ex-president and government officials of Azerbaijan. The bribery involved a 1998 scheme to induce the sale and purchase of the Azeri state oil company.[4] Although Bourke did not personally bribe the government officials and lost his $8 million investment in a hedge fund managed by the Czech national, Bourke was found to have known personally that money invested in the fund were used for bribing Azeri officials with cash and a secret 2/3 interest in the oil company.[4] After the jury verdict, District Judge Shira Scheindlin assessed a $1 million fine against Bourke and sentenced him to a jail term of one year and a day, followed by three years of probation.[5]

Why are you posting these same comments on two threads?????? 

Respected Contributor

Shawnie...

Boy, you are sure being very protective of "Dooney & Bourke"...

Please do tell...Do do you work for QVC????

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Also here is another interesting fact about "Bourke"... Yes, of "Dooney & Bourke"...

Conspiracy and bribery conviction of Bourke[edit]

On July 9, 2009, Frederic Bourke was found guilty by a jury and convicted of conspiracy and bribery under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Travel Act in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.[2] Bourke was convicted of conspiring with a Czech national, Viktor Kožený, also known as "Pirate of Prague"[3] to pay bribes to the ex-president and government officials of Azerbaijan. The bribery involved a 1998 scheme to induce the sale and purchase of the Azeri state oil company.[4] Although Bourke did not personally bribe the government officials and lost his $8 million investment in a hedge fund managed by the Czech national, Bourke was found to have known personally that money invested in the fund were used for bribing Azeri officials with cash and a secret 2/3 interest in the oil company.[4] After the jury verdict, District Judge Shira Scheindlin assessed a $1 million fine against Bourke and sentenced him to a jail term of one year and a day, followed by three years of probation.[5]

Why are you posting these same comments on two threads?????? 

BIG DEAL SO SOMEONE IS POSTING ON TWO THREADS !!!!

Respected Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

Shawnie...

Boy, you are sure being very protective of "Dooney & Bourke"...

Please do tell...Do do you work for QVC????

LOL!  Boy you are new here!!!