Respected Contributor

what's wrong with me?

[ Edited ]

Ok, I usually am out of step, and it's not a bad thing. In my career, I was usually a couple years ahead of trends, which was part of my job, but sometimes in fashion I don't want to be current because I don't like what I see. My point: I am thinking I have had a mental "style breakdown." Why? I am cleaning a closet and found in the back a never-worn and long-forgotten Dooney croco bag with matching wristlet, and it looks really good to my eye! Uh-oh....  I didn't like this bag when my mother gave it to me, so I tucked it away.  I have never liked croco bags or faux lizard, snakeskin, etc. (I have a real snakeskin bag Mother sent me from Italy years ago, and it gives me the creeps.) I don't buy Brahmins because they all seem to be faux dead reptile! Well, this unearthed Dooney bag is large and beautifully made of thick leather embossed in croco. It works as a tote or can be cinched into a sort of Hermes "Grace Kelly bag" shape.  I remember when it was a QVC tsv a few years ago and how I hated it then. What's wrong with me? I am sitting on the porch, staring at this perfect, new Dooney croco bag on the coffee table in front of me,  and am tempted to carry it. The quality is impressive, the color yummy. Me with faux croco? What next? A vinyl faux leather jacket? Ewwwww-- and, yes, I know that faux leather is all the rage. I showed the bag to my husband, who hates faux stuff and embellished clothing as I do, and he said the bag "looks a little Tootsie for you," meaning it's a little, uh, parvenu, perhaps? A little too-too, which is how Brahmins, et al, seem to me? I am so confused-- yes, I am chuckling about this -- because I might wear it tonight. Aack. Will I look chic or cheap?

Is this important? Of course not. What trends have you hated at first but liked later? What treasures have you found lurking in the back of your closet? 

Honored Contributor

Definitely wear it.  I bet it will look great.  I'm not lucky enough to have stuff in the back of my closet.  If I really don't like something, I usually exchange it because I know it will be in my next goodwill bag.  My sister went through a phase where she gave me a small coach bag three Christmas' in a row.  We live in different states, so she never actually gets to see me with it.  Each year, I took the bag to the coach store and exchanged it for a different style.  Win win.

Honored Contributor

Re: what's wrong with me?

[ Edited ]

I've found that my taste changes drastically as I get older.  For one thing, I'm not so quick to make judgements on whether or not I like a certain style until I've lived with it.

I used to hate hobo bags because they were just a dark cave where I couldn't find anything.  My sister gave me a beautiful hobo for Christmas one year, and I gave it back to her.

Now I rather like them, have discovered purse organizers which help find stuff and I look for one with an outside zip

pocket.

I'd suggest carrying the newly discovered treasure and see if it grows on you.  They do a better job of simulating reptiles skin now than they used to.  I find their hides to be very beautiful but that doesn't mean I love snakes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

There is nothing wrong with you! I think we all have phases in our lives and things we didn't once like or care about we may all of a sudden like. For me it was leggings and I am telling you I hated them and you would not have caught me dead in them. Then I got ask to model for a boutique fashion show that I shop at two years ago. One of the outfits was a brown tunic top with leather trim on the pockets and around the neck. With brown leggings and knee high boots!! Well honey let me tell you I had attitude about that and when I went into the dressing room I thought there is no way I am wearing this outfit. Of course I put the clothing on and then turned and looked in the mirror. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!! I have to say I looked incredible and I was rocking that outfit!!! I now own five pair of leggings, numerous tunic tops and of course have always owned knee high boots. Now my go to outfit in the Winter is yes you guessed it, long tunic tops, leggings (tucked into the boots) and knee high boots. I am also thin and very long legged and it just works for my body style. I also think we may like one item in a category but not like the stuff overall such as you with the croc and faux leather stuff. I love it because we are always changing and that is exciting!

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE You should use your Dooney croco bag!! I think Dooney croco is perfect for this time of the year! A few years ago the Dooney Croco Fino small satchel went on clearance at the Dooney outlets and several of us went into a frenzy getting them. I still have two brand new Dooney Croco Fino small satchels in red and t'moro brown that I'm "saving" to use in the future. It's fun to "pop" your outfit with a Dooney croco handbag! Use and enjoy it! Woman Very Happy

I used to be all Dooney, all the time and mostly leather. Now I'm into the lighter weight MZ Wallace nylon bags, which I love. I also covet the saffiano leather Henri Bendel West 57th Satchels and have them in several colors -- they are elegant, spacious and wear like iron. I wore the burgundy last fall and winter and it looks brand new.

Respected Contributor

Re: what's wrong with me?

[ Edited ]

@EdithEllenLily

I guess I always associated croco with "cheap."  And it's true that they can use cheaper leathers for all the faux stuff because they're so heavily embossing them to hide imperfections. So I usually gravitate toward more of the smooth leathers. I have other brands  including LV and Chloe but for every day I just find the Dooney suits my sort of casual equestrian style. First time I saw a Dooney bag in 1980, I sighed as I walked by the glass case it was in. I had never seen One before and it was so perfect for my style that I bought it, even though it was $240 which was a lot of money then. I still wear my coach Carly bag which I paid $500 for about eight or 10years ago, because it has that equestrian flair as well and such quality leather. Until I took early retirement, all I carrIed were briefcases – one coach and one Dooney – so I only owned a couple of handbags. It's been fun to play since I quit work. 

Honored Contributor

The good news is you have a new bag that you like. I think we change all of the time. I hated straight leg pants, now when I try on boot legs they look odd to me. Don't overthink it and enjoy your bag.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@EdithEllenLily

I guess I always associated croco with "cheap."  And it's true that they can use cheaper leathers for all the faux stuff because they're so heavily embossing them to hide imperfections. So I usually gravitate toward more of the smooth leathers. I have other brands  including LV and Chloe but for every day I just find the Dooney suits my sort of casual equestrian style. First time I saw a Dooney bag in 1980, I sighed as I walked by the glass case it was in. I had never seen One before and it was so perfect for my style that I bought it, even though it was $240 which was a lot of money then. I still wear my coach Carly bag which I paid $500 for about eight or 10years ago, because it has that equestrian foyer as well and such quality leather. Until I took early retirement, all I carrIed were briefcases – one coach and one Dooney – so I only owned a couple of handbags. It's been fun to play since I quit work. 

@libbyannE I understand...and we all have personal preferences and opinions about handbags and that's what makes it interesting here...to find out what everyone thinks and likes and to perhaps try something different. I think it's good to branch out and try new things with handbags! Who wants same old, same old...that's boring! I'm glad you're 'playing' !! Woman Wink Since you have the Dooney croco, give it a whirl and if you don't like how it carries or if you are uncomfortable with the look, then you know. Do let us know if you carry it and what you thought of it! Curious after all of the thought...Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I just went through all my shoes in my spare closet. I have no idea what possessed me to buy several of the shoes that I did. They are not comfortable therefore I never wore them. They are all beautiful leather and I am shocked at the cost of some of the shoes.

But I will not wear them so it is time to donate them and move on.

Clearly my tastes have changed. Not sure what thoughts passed through my head as I had to have these shoes but I clearly don't have those thoughts anymore. So we all change sometime in unexpected directions but  enjoy where you are and have fun wearing it.

Trusted Contributor

Good heavens! What a dilemma. Cat Very Happy I can't see that there's any need to listen to all those arguments going on in your head, or worry about what using it implies about you. If you like it, use it.  If you don't like it, donate it to a charity resale shop or a friend, so someone else can enjoy it. You've probably already reached that conclusion anyway!

I have a leather jacket that I fell in love with and had to have, and now I feel it looks just awful on me. Maybe I should cut it up and make a hobo bag out of it? Or a pillow?

I change my mind about stuff all the time. If I could change my mind about changing my mind, I might do that too! None of it says anything about me except that's what I happen to feel like right then. I was just looking at a pair of saddle oxford shoes online today! I ust decided I like steamed mussels after all! 

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide!