Valued Contributor

the valuve of your handbags is not worth much

anyone ever try to sell their nice handbag that you spend a lot of money and no one sees the value in them? I will not buy anymore high priced bags or any more bags. not worth the value anymore. 

Super Contributor

Re: the valuve of your handbags is not worth much

We all have to do what we think is best for us.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy handbags with the expectation that theyll be good financial investments.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I know - can't even give them away except to charity.  Everybody's taste is different - you probably wouldn't like my style and vice versa.  Finding someone who likes my handbag to pay money - like a needle in a haystack.

Honored Contributor

It’s the same as your used car...no value after a couple of years even if in perfect shape with low miles.I got 17 on trade for my 8 year old BMW x5 that was mint condition with just under 25,000 miles

Valued Contributor

That is so true when you buy a bag that is not a "luxury" bag (like, Coach, D & B, M Kors, etc.).  I still have two Markowsky bags I got on QVC that I love.  Consider it a purchase you will enjoy, something your like, and are willing to spend the money to enjoy it.  It is not true when you purchase a bag that is considered a "luxury" bag (Chanel, Hermes, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.)  Those can be investment bags (if you want) and there is a HUGE market for previously used luxury bags. There are lots of people who buy them to sell them in the after market (carry them for a few years, then sell it.  Maybe the cost breakdown is $100 a year.)  I have two LV items that I could sell today for more than I paid for them. The demand is that high.  I have purchased a perfect previously loved LV bag that I paid half the new price amt for. Just buy what you like and what you will enjoy carrying.  If that is a great tote from Target, then it is an amazing purchase!  

Honored Contributor

Used clothing and handbags along with shoes are preworn items.  Of course there is very little value in them if you want to sell them.

People who buy used clothing, buy to save money.  If they wanted to pay a preminum price, they would buy new.

I buy handbags because I like them.  I have a few that cost over $1000 each.  At the time, I thought they were worth it to me.  I know that I couldn't even get half of my money back if I would sell them.  It doesn't matter to me.  I gave two of them away and I still have two.

Even diamonds and other fine jewelry do not go up in value for resale....unless you have some rare, sought after items.

The value to me is how much I love an item, how long it will last and how many times I will use it.  If you are going to spend $50 on something and use it once...that is expensive.

if you pay $500 and  use an item everyday for a year or even longer, you spent your money wisely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mid-range bags, overall, are too commonplace to net much in the way of resale... Not only that, but for just a little more, interested customers can purchase a new version of them... Many will opt to go that route rather than buy a used bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Buying used bag - - agree - I would never consider that regardless of the manufacturer tag and the deal.  Just wouldn't think of it.

Honored Contributor

Why would you buy an expensive handbag for its retail value for selling?  Just buy it because YOU like it.   I am someone who pays $20 for a handbag these days  at Target and when done with it or it shows wear I just throw it away.   Actually they are really cute for the money! 

I bought a bunch of more expensive handbags foolishly when I was younger and recently donated them all to goodwill. Never again would I spend much on a handbag. Lesson learned for me.