Honored Contributor

Re: the valuve of your handbags is not worth much

You don't get much for many things you try to resell.  When I buy an expensive pocketbook, it's because I love it.  I take good care of it and use it for many years.  I rarely switch out to another.  

Honored Contributor

I’ve taken, over the last year, quite a few purses to a local consignment store. I’ve taken some of mine and my sister has had me take many that were hers. 

We’ve done very well selling them, but unless it’s Louis Vuitton or Burberry, you don’t get a ton for them. 

Used Coach, in terrific shape, usually sells for around $69.99 and the seller gets half of that. 

They sell a ton of purses at this shop. I’m happy to get whatever I can for them. 

She usually sells new with tag items for a little less than half the tag price. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have done very well at selling handbags at my two consignment shops. But most of the ones I have sold, I have bought at other consignment shops or at thrift stores.

I rarely buy new bags. And I don't worry about what they may be worth later on when I'm tired of them.

I do get 50% at my consignment shops. I guess it depends on where you live.

Respected Contributor

When I first started selling on the bay in 2000, it was very easy to get between $89-$100 for barely used Coach bags. The retail for those ranged from $250 to $300. I could sell within in a hour. That's not making money; that's recovering some money from what I purchased and used.

Some times it was possible to find new items and re-sell at a profit. Sometime I located vintage items and was able to sell at a profit. Small profit. I made the most money with LV. I bought and collected LV and those increased in value, because they kept going up in retail I probably recouped 30-40 percent over what I paid originally. That's unheard of with used bags. Of course, some things changed. Ebay changed, the economy changed  If I get $69.99 for a bag; that's great. But I still have to pay ebay fees and Paypal fees. People want free shipping and they want something really cheap and they want to use it and return it. It's not great.  Anymore  I just sell things to clear the decks.  And of course, my lifestyle has changed so that I am not purchasing as much in the first place. Problem solved. If some bags were not that expensive and are in OK condition, I just give away. There are Youtubers who purchase new bags and then confess that they never remove the tags because they might re-sell it.  Thta's a little crazy. Why buy in the first place? There were articles written in the Wall Street Journal that advised women to buy $$$ bags as investments.   They were referring to Birkin--not Dooney and Bourke.

The bottom line is always buy because it has a place in your life and you love it. Whatever number that is, it's personal to you. 

Honored Contributor

I never buy a new bag thinking I will make money on it.  I do however consider how much I might get for it if I choose to sell it.  This usually keeps me from making a stupid purchase.  Sometimes a bag just doesn't work out for you, and it's good to know you can sell it for a reasonable price and that you won't be out the whole cost of the bag.

It is my experience that no-name bags don't sell on ebay.  If I buy a no-name-- a boutique bag, for example-- I make darn sure I love it becaue reselling isn't going to be worth it.  I'd rather to give a very expensive bag to someone I know than discount it to a stranger.

Honored Contributor

I'm not renting my bags and I didn't buy them to re-sell them.  I carry my bags, I enjoy them.  They are part of my wardrobe.  I've never even thought of selling any of them, not even the LV that I bought back when I was young and stupid.  I gave that to my daughter when she got her first job.  I've given Dooney's to my nieces.  

Honored Contributor

My local consignment store sells gently used handbags very quickly. I guess there are lots of women here looking for a nice bag at a good price because they never refuse one of my bags. I usually get tired of my bags before they wear out. I have sold Patricia Nash, Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, Brighton, Calvin Klein, Dooney, etc. I never expect to recoup the original cost, but a few bucks back is nice (so I can go buy a new one 😉). 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have about 50 - 60 purses that are stored in their dust cover until I use them.  Most are Dooney's, a couple are Amiee Kestenberg and about 5 are McKowsky not including two super buttery soft leather wristlets, gorgeous.  All of my BMak purses are the good ones that didn't bleed dye or have other issues and all are soft beautiful to touch leather.  When the time comes I will sell them and I'm pretty confident I will get at least $50 for each BMak bag and honestly a little more for the wristlets as they are that gorgeous.  As for my Dooneys, I'm pretty sure I can get a least $100 for them and maybe $150 for some as well.  The AK bags probably $20 each.