Honored Contributor

raining hard here today - had to put my nice bag away for a few days

I hate changing purses but due to severe rain I had to get out a vinyl bag.Nice to have the option and not have to worry about my favorite leather bag getting wet. However,  The purse I have been using for 4 months has 4 outside pockets and the one I got out today has little organization. I didn't know where I put anything all day.

Respected Contributor

Re: raining hard here today - had to put my nice bag away for a few days

This may help..I just posted this last night to another poster asking for something to protect her leather riding boots...This is what I use on my leather handbags and boots that I want to protect form both snow and rain...Hope this helps?

I LOVE and use...

KIWI Heavy Duty Water Repellent (Tough Silicone Protection).  I is effective on Leather, Canvas, Outdoor Gear and All Breathable Materials.      

Honored Contributor

Quite a few years ago, I ordered "rain covers" for my handbags from QVC.  They came in a package of three sizes.

I still use them often to keep my bags dry.

Esteemed Contributor

We've been having the same steady rain for three days, but it just beads off of my pebble leather Dooney. No problem. I don't like bags that I have to protect!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Don't cows, from whom leather bags are made, stand out in the rain without harm?  I'd just dry it off and go on my way.  I'd only worry if it was suede.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

This may help..I just posted this last night to another poster asking for something to protect her leather riding boots...This is what I use on my leather handbags and boots that I want to protect form both snow and rain...Hope this helps?

I LOVE and use...

KIWI Heavy Duty Water Repellent (Tough Silicone Protection).  I is effective on Leather, Canvas, Outdoor Gear and All Breathable Materials.      

I use this stuff too! Keeps my good leather boots...shoes and purses looking nice.

If I really have to go out in heavy rain or snow, I use my clutch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're handbags... I either carry a vinyl one or a leather one that can stand up to the rain...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Don't cows, from whom leather bags are made, stand out in the rain without harm?  I'd just dry it off and go on my way.  I'd only worry if it was suede.

True, but the animals are still living and excrete oil through the skin that helps the water run off.  And they have a hair coat to also help sluice off the rain.  I suppose that is one reason we need to condition leather shoes and bags.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Wow I've never taken special care of any leather bag I have when it comes to getting a few raindrops on it. What is supposed to happen? Nothing has ever happened to mine. It dries and I go on with my life.

"Pure Michigan"