Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 

I'd love a smaller version of that bag.

What is the style name, please?

I normally carry a Ruby and don't want anything much bigger, but would love a red bag in that style.

Honored Contributor

The I Love Dooney site was having issues yesterday. I couldn't browse the site.  

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman  as janabelle may be otherwise occupied, I‘ll respond- the smaller size is either a mini Barlow or Brenna. I can’t figure out the the difference between the two.

The mini is 9” wide, 7” inches tall, about the size of an iPad.

Respected Contributor

The Barlow and the Brenna have the same  overall design and it's hard to tell one from the other.  Trim details can vary as can the leather used.  But I don't think you can assume a bag is one or the other just based on a quick look. 

Originally the Brenna was a pebbled leather design with contrasting corner trim made as a QVC exclusive.  And the Barlow was a smooth leather handbag in the City collection,  made for retail.  The Barlow had contrasting handles,  but the corners were the same color leather as the bag itself, with no extra leather detailing. The City collection used text lettering for Dooney & Bourke, and I think the Brenna used the square goldtone Dooney logo.

Brenna was 'country'/equestrian inspired and City was sleek and more modern in it's look. 

Since their original release,  both the Brenna and the Barlow have been made in multiple leathers and the styling details aren't as distinctively different as in the original releases.  And the Brenna is no longer a QVC exclusive design.

Now the measurements seem to be the important factor.... at least as far as I can tell.  We need to look at the height, length, and depth of each bag to be sure it's the size that works for us.  Slight differences in proportions may make a difference to some people. 

Don't go by the naming.... small, mini,  large, etc.   It only describes the size in relationship to the other bags in that specific style.   But a small in one could be bigger than in the other name.  So,  look at the details of all 3 measurements. 

Also,  an inch difference in any one (or more measurement) can make a big difference in usability and overall appearace of the bag.  This is probably true in many styles,  but seems to be more important in the Barlow/Brenna style,  especially if you plan to carry it on the shoulder or cross body.  These style tend to be bulkier, due to the design,  and the bigger the bag and the wider the base,  the less comfortable it may be as a

cross body or shoulder bag..... compared with other styles,  like a Cooper or a hobo.    If you hand carry,  as I do,  then an inch or more in depth of the base is an asset,

not a problem.   Details matter.

Trusted Contributor
@Lavenderjunkie, thanks so much for this detailed information! I found it very helpful!👍
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

OK. What am I missing with "I Love Dooney"? Discount on bags, but new, well-loved, etc.?

In my opinion, you're not missing anything. 

I've been tempted by their prices, but all I receive are badly defective handbags.  I'm astonished what I'm sent. 

I send them right back.  

Apparently, some people get pristine handbags, but not me. 

I'm totally done with ILD, just don't have the time to deal with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, I'm so sorry I didn't see your question earlier! My bag is the Small Barlow. I bought it when D&B first came out with that smooth leather "wavy" style about 4 years ago. I don't carry a lot so it has plenty of room for me and the hidden pockets are the best. The downside is that it is a bit heavy. Again, I apologize that I didn't see your post earlier.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Oh, please don't worry!

@cantdrive55  responded and I checked the bag futher, but decided it was too big for me.

I love their handbags, but my days of carrying anything larger than a Ruby are over.  I just don't have that much stuff and don't collect bags I'm not going to use every day.

As it is, I'm trying to rehome at least 5 bags that are too heavy/large.  I don't need to add to THAT collection Cat Happy

Enjoy your bag....it's a beauty!

Trusted Contributor

Love the red!