Respected Contributor

Re: lower-priced purses

[ Edited ]

Try tj maxx, eBay, and "as is" QVC bags for quality at a good price. On eBay a preowned but unused or barely used bag can be a bargain. But don't buy something cheap, because you get what you pay for in looks and durability. Stick with all leather in good brands. Some brands like tignanello have nice leather but manmade trims and straps that wear out. If you have to replace it in a year or two, it's no bargain. I still have and use my first Dooney from 1980 or '81. It cost $240, which I remember because it was so much money. But it was worth it! Because I carried a briefcase and no purse on weekdays, that Dooney was one of my only handbags for years. The truth is that $300 is not a high-end bag now, and the top quality dooneys  are $450 to $750. You might Google "stone mountain" bags, because they used to offer leather at great prices. 

Later: I just googled stone mountain handbags, and I found several places, so look them up. Vermont country store and boscov's are among the sellers. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I buy bags in all different price ranges but only if they meet my "criteria". Some aren't even leather.

I have found many a gorgeous bag at TJ Maxx. Love that they have lay-away and will give you the price adjustment if they are marked down.

Contributor

You should try hitting up the thrift store or ebay. You can get great, even name-brand purses there for cheap. Much better than buying something at a comparable retail price that is not made to last. Literally all my purses were either thrifted or gifts.

Honored Contributor

@dragthewaters wrote:

You should try hitting up the thrift store or ebay. You can get great, even name-brand purses there for cheap. Much better than buying something at a comparable retail price that is not made to last. Literally all my purses were either thrifted or gifts.

On the other hand I can not imagine using a purse that someone else owned and used - had their hands into - and Lord only knows what else may have been in there. Just think of how filthy someones cell phone is - and they put it in their purse - used kleenex - wallets - makeup ... it goes on & on. If they paid me I would not take a used purse.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I recently gave up carrying any leather purses because I have a bad disk in my neck and the heavy purses aggravate it. I am going with all non leather because the  all leather are too heavy. I do not find the non leather bags to be of lower quality and actually I'm enjoying not having to worry about carrying a leather purse out in the rain etc. I have a few tig bags that are only partially leather and they are not heavy, so I'll keep them - and a couple vintage leather bags because they are small - otherwise I am going to have to pare down my leather purse collection and give them to the church thrift store to sell. A large advantage of going non leather is lower prices. 

Honored Contributor

@dragthewaters wrote:

@dragthewaters I have so many beautiful bags from thrift stores or second-hand stores.

Quite a few really high-end bags too. A MCM bag that would of cost $800.00 to $1000.00 new. I paid around $30.00 because I had seen it at a consignment store, didn't buy it but I was told that I should of bought.

I called the lady and she shipped it to me. That was a real find.

So yes, it pays to check out thrift stores.

Some people just don't realize how much you can save or they are too good to buy second-hand. Their loss I would say.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Oh, the Dooney people buy 2, 3, 4 purses at a time - ridiculous!  They say they last "forever", why do you need 4 of them?

I have many, many Dooney bags in different styles and colors that I switch off for different occasions or seasons. I also have lots of different colors shoes. I would never question why someone  has only 1 or 2 purses or shoes - to each his own. 

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Oh, the Dooney people buy 2, 3, 4 purses at a time - ridiculous!  They say they last "forever", why do you need 4 of them?

I have many, many Dooney bags in different styles and colors that I switch off for different occasions or seasons. I also have lots of different colors shoes. I would never question why someone  has only 1 or 2 purses or shoes - to each his own. 

I believe the question here is WHY would someone need so many D&B purses if they are so durable and last forever? For instance - if you own a black everyday D&B purse what reason is there to buy another black D&B everyday purse if they do, in fact, last forever? If someone is buying 3 to 4 every time they are on QVC there would have to be some lap over.

Honored Contributor

Re: lower-priced purses

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@dragthewaters wrote:

On the other hand I can not imagine using a purse that someone else owned and used - had their hands into - and Lord only knows what else may have been in there. Just think of how filthy someones cell phone is - and they put it in their purse - used kleenex - wallets - makeup ... it goes on & on. If they paid me I would not take a used purse.

I don't make a habit out of buying second hand purses, but neither will I automatically rule then out... Fact is, I'm leery of buying anything sight unseen, so for me, ebay is a very occasional thing and in as much as there aren't convenient thrift or consignment stores in my area of which I'm aware, I'm not knocking down the door to get to used purses. That said, I have come across a few I thought were in good enough shape, clean inside and out, so that I wasn't going to obsess over their level of hygiene... A quick swipe wiith a Lysol or Clorox wipe inside the bag and it was good to go... In general, I prefer new, as I assume most of us do, but even with a new bag, there's no guarantee that it wasn't a return, either here or elsewhere.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I too am finding that lately I'm buying more non-leather than leather purses. I like that they're lighter and that they aren't as expensive. I own many leather bags and will probably continue to purchase them, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with owning bags made of other materials... With all due respect to the 'leather snobs', owning a leather bag these days is hardly any kind of mark of distinction...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...