Esteemed Contributor

Re: handbags made from baby lambs

Wish I had not opened this thread.

Valued Contributor

Yes to more vegan products!  If we can stop any animal from suffering, why wouldn't we?

Honored Contributor

If humans stop using animals for their hides and meat, they would be extinct.  Most people would not keep a farm animal as a pet.  They are expensive to feed and take care of and they don't live in our homes.

Even those cute goats the Beekman's have are not pets.  They have very little use for the males....so, what happens to them?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

If humans stop using animals for their hides and meat, they would be extinct.  Most people would not keep a farm animal as a pet.  They are expensive to feed and take care of and they don't live in our homes.

Even those cute goats the Beekman's have are not pets.  They have very little use for the males....so, what happens to them?

@Carmie - We have friends who raise goats. They have a barn where they live, but they also go in and out of the house. Two of them sit with my friend and watch TV!

They are adorable! Our friends show them at fairs and sell the milk. They would never get rid of any of them!   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie - We have friends who raise goats. They have a barn where they live, but they also go in and out of the house. Two of them sit with my friend and watch TV!

They are adorable! Our friends show them at fairs and sell the milk. They would never get rid of any of them!   Smiley Happy

@beach-mom    As cute as they are, I doubt an unhousebroken farm animal will ever gain great popularity as a house pet. I had a darling horse wander into my kitchen through an open door once but I never invited her back for a second visit. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@beach-mom    As cute as they are, I doubt an unhousebroken farm animal will ever gain great popularity as a house pet. I had a darling horse wander into my kitchen through an open door once but I never invited her back for a second visit. 

@Kachina624 - You're probably right! My friend's goats are spoiled! It is unusual to have one on your lap while you're watching TV!   Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

People need to respect people's choices however different they are from their own. There is nothing wrong with eating beef,pork, lamb or veal if that's your choice. There is also nothing wrong with being vegan if that's your preference.

No one is better than anybody else for making a choice either way,period.

Honored Contributor

It does not bother me one way or the other.  I eat what I like, wear what I want and pet what I think is cute and furry.  I had pork for dinner last night and adore eating lamb on the rare occasion my son prepares it for me.   We all make our own decisions for food ect....  As far as a goat for a pet there strange eyes would stop me from keeping one but I have enjoyed being with them at petting zoos.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Well, that is a life dream of mine - miniature animals to have (and not eat!). A mini Scottish Highland cow would beyond fabulous, and the mini goats and donkeys.  I have the space, but yes the funds.  And my husband said they would have to come in the house during the winter when it was really cold.

Honored Contributor

How are lambs different from cows?  People eat animals and use the fur and hides of animals just as we have always done.  That's not going to change as long as there are animals.  But I do think the vegan and vegetarian movements will continue to grow so that people will have more choices.   I have read that faux or vegan leathers are all petroleum based and a disaster for the environment.