New Contributor

handbags made from baby lambs

I was saddened to see handbags made from lambs, talk about silence of the lambs.

Please more vegan products.

Honored Contributor

Re: handbags made from baby lambs

Lambs are slaughtered for meat, as in leg of lamb.  Should they throw the hides away? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They offer both.  What does "Silence of the Lambs" have to do with it?

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t eat much meat.  But I haven’t eaten lamb or veal for over 50 years.  Obviously, the thought of wearing lamb leather 

sickens me.  I realize others do not feel this way, and I respect everyone’s right to choose.  Just saying.  And I don’t want to eat eggs from caged chickens.

Regular Contributor

I agree, it is disgusting.  with advances in textile technology there isn't any reason humans have to adorn themsellves with helpless animals.

Honored Contributor

Well, to me it is part of life.  It part of nature that is how people live and have lived for millennia.  You have hides from the consumption of meat and they should be used.

We all have the freedom to think differently.  Please respect how others feel.  You know there is nothing said here that will change minds, so why start something up?

Honored Contributor

@gehgis - There are a lot of other options here.  Personally I don't wear or eat lamb, but if someone else wants to that is her right. Everyone should be able to have her own beliefs, whatever they are.

I see you're new. Welcome to the forums!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I personally have changed over the years.... as we as a society have more choices and can find vegan options, I like to do that.  I personally don't see it any worse to eat a lamb, then a cow, then a dog or cat.  It's interesting to me that some animals are so unthinkable as food, while others are not.  

but with all that said, I do think that when animals are raised ethically, have a good life as they deserve, get slaughterd in the end and all the parts are used, I can live with that.  It's the torture of animals & the wastefulness that I don't like and has encouraged me to buy more vegan products.  

i know it's a somewhat hypocritical opinion... but like most things it's more complicated than a simple two sided arguement.  In a lot of ways, we have to wait for demand to catch up to impact price for vegan choices. Price can be prohibitive to many.  But there are more vegan choices becoming available to mass retailers like walmart etc.

I think in the future we will all be more plant based.  I can tell you, since I went mostly plant based in my own kitchen, I've lost weight and feel great!  :-) 

Esteemed Contributor

I would never want it. Could not stop thinking about them.

Respected Contributor

Personally, I don't think there is any need to eat lamb or veal.  Yes, we all have choices and can decide. I just think it's sad.  Even my dad, who was a huge beef eater, refused to eat veal.  The thought of eating baby animals sickens and saddens me beyond belief.  (I have given up eating red meat completely.)

And it's kind of funny that someone mentioned this is how it's always been done.  I just think of all the things currently people are trying to change. Just something to think about.