Regular Contributor

Re: about the used returns and common sense

I don't think that TV shopping would have ever been successful for even a year if they didn't have the 30-day return for any reason policy.  

I bought my mother a pajama set that she liked a lot, so I ordered a second (posted on it somehwere else here).  Both were the same brand and size, but she said second fit a lot better than the first (it was smaller).  She had not lost weight (only a few weeks between orders).  Both were ordered during the extended return season.  

I told her to send the first one back for an exchange (the was before 1/31/19) that they would take it since it was extended return season.  She absolutely refused and was appalled when I told her that it was okay.  She couldn't even imagine sending something back that she'd worn and washed several times.  I explained how it worked, but she would not even think of it.  I told her that I was sure lots of people did this, to no avail. 

I don't feel as strongly about this as she does, but I think I'd act the same way in the same situation.  

Honored Contributor

The return policy is what it is. Right or wrong, customers are invited to buy, try and return. The problem lies with QVC's quality control component failing to examine returns and assess whether they can be again sold as new, should be listed 'as-is' or simply trashed. 

I don't shop here much these days but when I did, I also had reasonable success with ''as-is' handbags. Out of a handful purchased 'as-is' I only had a couple of stinkers.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I received a George Simonton jacket that I dearly loved and wanted so hard to keep although it was stained, so bad that if I could I would have just had it dry cleaned and gone on but when I looked carefully, the sleeves had been altered with a basting stitch, not even a professional altering and some fringe on its decor trim was missing.  

Another time I got a Pamela Dennis jacket that had been worn and was dirty, pure dirty.  No, not just dirty -- filthy.

I got a Marc Bouwer blouse that not only smelled of cologne but the elastic in the waist was completely stretched out and since it had been worn so many times the elastic was misshapen.  Maybe 2-3 people had it for 30 days.

and the things I got were sold as "new" items, not "as is."

And you still kept shopping with QVC????  Therein lies the problem, when this terrible thing happens, apparently it's not a big deal to their shoppers and QVC knows that.  It would be a big deal for me.  I could forgive and get my refund ONCE but if it ever happened a second time.....QVC would be in rear view mirror.  I'd leave and never look back.  

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

It's just wrong on all counts.  I can't believe that QVC doesn't inspect returns to see if they should resell at the regular price.  Even B&M stores inspect the bag to make sure it wasn't used.

Just based on what I am reading on this board, nasty returns really don't bother the QVC shopper.  Some people even say that they'd wash the stuff and keep it.  Even if they return it, they remain QVC shoppers.  So, if that's true, QVC really doesn't have to take better care when it comes to returns.  They don't have to allocate more staff and more money to returns because....it doesn't affect business.  They won't lose customers.  Give them a refund and they'll keep right on shopping with us.  I respect myself as a human being too much to treated like that.  Once, ok.  Twice and I'm gone!  However, this used merchandise thing has never happened to me in 30 years or to anyone I know so I have no way of knowing if it really is a  problem or not.  

Honored Contributor

@Maloyo wrote:

I don't think that TV shopping would have ever been successful for even a year if they didn't have the 30-day return for any reason policy.  

I bought my mother a pajama set that she liked a lot, so I ordered a second (posted on it somehwere else here).  Both were the same brand and size, but she said second fit a lot better than the first (it was smaller).  She had not lost weight (only a few weeks between orders).  Both were ordered during the extended return season.  

I told her to send the first one back for an exchange (the was before 1/31/19) that they would take it since it was extended return season.  She absolutely refused and was appalled when I told her that it was okay.  She couldn't even imagine sending something back that she'd worn and washed several times.  I explained how it worked, but she would not even think of it.  I told her that I was sure lots of people did this, to no avail. 

I don't feel as strongly about this as she does, but I think I'd act the same way in the same situation.  

Well, your mother is like me.  Never in million years would I ever return something that I'd worn several times and washed.  Omg, that's a total abuse of the return policy.  Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.  Some things are just wrong.  But thank you for confirming what I thought.  People do really do "rent" clothing and accessories.  They wear them and launder them and enjoy them and then return them and start the process all over again.  

Respected Contributor

i remember when i worked retail. i was on the "returns" desk  If you have your receipt , and its under 30 days not many questions are asked, even if its obviously worn. 

it would irritate me so when someone would bring back a entire outfit, right after valentines day. creased skirt from sitting, purfume on the blouse you name it, worn underwear.

some people have no shame. 

on another note, i also remember years ago buying a coat online. i wore it around the house for like 5 minutes, but took off the tags. decided no, not for me. and returned it

imagine my suprise when my return was denied, because i had taken the tags off. guess i didn't read the fine print. 

lesson learned.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i remember when i worked retail. i was on the "returns" desk  If you have your receipt , and its under 30 days not many questions are asked, even if its obviously worn. 

it would irritate me so when someone would bring back a entire outfit, right after valentines day. creased skirt from sitting, perfume on the blouse you name it, worn underwear.

on another note, i also remember years ago buying a coat online. i wore it around the house for like 5 minutes, but took off the tags. decided no, not for me. and returned it

imagine my surprise when my return was denied, because i had taken the tags off. guess i didn't read the fine print. 

lesson learned.    sorry double post

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

it would irritate me so when someone would bring back a entire outfit, right after valentines day. creased skirt from sitting, perfume on the blouse you name it, worn underwear.

imagine my surprise when my return was denied, because i had taken the tags off. guess i didn't read the fine print. 

lesson learned.    sorry double post

Yes!  I had that experience once too.  It was blouse, chiffon sleeves.  I tried it on and it felt good, I took te tags off but when I put it on to wear it out, the sleeves felt a little tight.  All together, it was on my body for 15 minutes.  I returned, I put the tags on top of the blouse.  They did not accept my return because the tags were not ON the blouse.  Lesson learned.  I always read the fine print when I buy online.  I buy under garments from an online store. Love what they have but when you buy panties, there is a instruction sheet.  They tell you to keep that protective strip on the panties and to try them on OVER a pair of panties so that your body does not touch the new panties.  They won't accept a return if the strip isn't on, they won't accept a return if they "detect" that the panties have been worn.  

Esteemed Contributor

How awful! That bag should have been sold as an "as is" item. Returns should not be sent as NEW items just purchased at full price. This is a topic that the hosts babble on about when selling the titems. At the very least, it should have been sold at a "clearance" price assuming it had zero "issues". This item did not. Poor business practice and twice the disappointment..