New Contributor

about the used returns and common sense

So, I ordered a NEW bag, at a FULL price. I wanted it for a long time, then the color I wanted was out of stock and then when it was available I bought it immediately. I finally received it yesteday and the disappointment hurts so much. It was used! Like second hand type of used: straps stretched and rudely "adjusted", stained, trashed and worn at all corners... I know QVC should have dome a better job at checking it before sending it to somebody else, again as new and at full price.... but the bigger questions is: Who does that? Who returns an item after using it to high capacity? What was she carring in it? Rocks? I get that it can get stained... How much damage can you do to a durable (lifetime guaranteed) Dooney in only 30 days? Why is QVC not charging these biatches for all this damage instead of giving them a full refund? Sad! 

Honored Contributor

Re: about the used returns and common sense

@LilisIt is sad on several levels.  First, I get your disappointment.  I can barely look at handbags in the thrift shops from which I gladly buy clothes I can bring home and wash! And lamps and dishes, just never a handbag.

It's also sad that consumers feel a company should accept such obviously used merchandise as a return.  I know they accept gift items over many, many months, but the spirit of that offer doesn't mean the "gift" should have been used for all those months.

But my common sense tells me you got a bag a from a worker who just doesn't care about what s/he is doing and it could even be more than one. That's sad because they're working at something that's not fitting them and customers end up suffering as you are.  

Now you and someone else at the company have to do what's necessary to return you to whole, but that's money.  The feelings take forever!

Respected Contributor

@Lilis wrote:

So, I ordered a NEW bag, at a FULL price. I wanted it for a long time, then the color I wanted was out of stock and then when it was available I bought it immediately. I finally received it yesteday and the disappointment hurts so much. It was used! Like second hand type of used: straps stretched and rudely "adjusted", stained, trashed and worn at all corners... I know QVC should have dome a better job at checking it before sending it to somebody else, again as new and at full price.... but the bigger questions is: Who does that? Who returns an item after using it to high capacity? What was she carring in it? Rocks? I get that it can get stained... How much damage can you do to a durable (lifetime guaranteed) Dooney in only 30 days? Why is QVC not charging these biatches for all this damage instead of giving them a full refund? Sad! 

@LilisI feel your pain.  I had the same experience with a pair of shoes that I purchased several years back.  The lesson that I've learned is not to buy handbags or shoes during and immediately after the extended holiday return period.  From October until January, a few people take advantage of the extended return policy, use the products every day and then return them for a full refund for whatever reason.  QVC's return department should flag the items as used and not sell them at full price.  I have a feeling that their return system is fully automated and doesn't handle that particular situation the way they should.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I have never had that experience with QVC or any other shopping channel or any other retailer.  All my friends and most of the women in my family are QVC shoppers, no one has ever to my knowledge received used merchandise.  I'd know if they did!  Of course, none of us would ever buy anything as-is and I do think that is where the risk is for receiving nasty used stuff.  Shame on QVC if that happens just once.  There's absolutely no excuse for it.  If you read this board, you see that returning is almost a national passtime.   That being the case, my assumption is that too many shoppers are taking advantage of the 30 day rule.  Many are really just renting the stuff.  Also, it came to my attention a while ago that the 30 day rule isn't written in stone, there's some flexibility with it.  So, many women are carrying those bags and wearing those shoes and wearing those clothes for weeks before they "decide" they aren't right for them and then they return them.  The risk is that when you get a return, it's likely to be used, not a returned item.  It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.  They know they are going to send it back so they don't even bother to take care with an item.  However, customers who abuse the return policy are not responsible for the awful thing that happened to you.  THAT rests purely on QVC's shoulders.  When you return that bag, they should give you double your money back.   And considering the holiday return policy, good heavens.  Women could have worn things for almost 6 months and then returned them!  

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Well, I have never had that experience with QVC or any other shopping channel or any other retailer.  All my friends and most of the women in my family are QVC shoppers, no one has ever to my knowledge received used merchandise.  I'd know if they did!  Of course, none of us would ever buy anything as-is and I do think that is where the risk is for receiving nasty used stuff.  Shame on QVC if that happens just once.  There's absolutely no excuse for it.  If you read this board, you see that returning is almost a national passtime.   That being the case, my assumption is that too many shoppers are taking advantage of the 30 day rule.  Many are really just renting the stuff.  Also, it came to my attention a while ago that the 30 day rule isn't written in stone, there's some flexibility with it.  So, many women are carrying those bags and wearing those shoes and wearing those clothes for weeks before they "decide" they aren't right for them and then they return them.  The risk is that when you get a return, it's likely to be used, not a returned item.  It's unfortunate but that's the way it is.  They know they are going to send it back so they don't even bother to take care with an item.  However, customers who abuse the return policy are not responsible for the awful thing that happened to you.  THAT rests purely on QVC's shoulders.  When you return that bag, they should give you double your money back.   And considering the holiday return policy, good heavens.  Women could have worn things for almost 6 months and then returned them!  

I may be in the minority, but I routinely order “as is,” and I can honestly say, I have never gotten a thing that wasn’t “like new.” Never, say never, but still . . .🤞🏻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I received a George Simonton jacket that I dearly loved and wanted so hard to keep although it was stained, so bad that if I could I would have just had it dry cleaned and gone on but when I looked carefully, the sleeves had been altered with a basting stitch, not even a professional altering and some fringe on its decor trim was missing.  

Another time I got a Pamela Dennis jacket that had been worn and was dirty, pure dirty.  No, not just dirty -- filthy.

I got a Marc Bouwer blouse that not only smelled of cologne but the elastic in the waist was completely stretched out and since it had been worn so many times the elastic was misshapen.  Maybe 2-3 people had it for 30 days.

and the things I got were sold as "new" items, not "as is."

Honored Contributor

It's just wrong on all counts.  I can't believe that QVC doesn't inspect returns to see if they should resell at the regular price.  Even B&M stores inspect the bag to make sure it wasn't used.

Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I may be in the minority, but I routinely order “as is,” and I can honestly say, I have never gotten a thing that wasn’t “like new.” Never, say never, but still . . .🤞🏻

I will order "as is" items too and have gotten some really great deals on things that were in excellent condition.

@chrystaltree . It would help if you used paragraphs when you have a lot of text for those of us with poor eyesight...thanks!

Honored Contributor

I am thoroughly convinced that there is NO ONE in the Returns dept at QVC looks over/examines anything that's returned for any reason especially in the fashion clothes/shoes/handbags area.

It totally baffles me how there are folks among us who buy clothes items, wear them for an occasion or 2 or 3 only to purposely return the items with this in mind. A wedding, a special occasion, a graduation, Baptism, whatever comes up, buys something to wear and then returns it.

Every time I read about such a situation I think about the time eons ago a friend of mine told me of her working in the catelog return area in jcpenney's of a woman who the nerve to return a pair of drapes she had used for years in her home and have even more nerve to return them IN PERSON. My friend said jcp always had a policy to not ask questions, just process the return. And so it happened, woman walked out with a discounted amount of money, my friend dropped the drapes immediately in the trash can.

Totally disgusting.

Respected Contributor

I understand your disappointment. This shouldn’t happen. Without an absolute 30 day return policy many,

including me, would not order.