Honored Contributor

I have an old (30 years) Louis Vuitton satchel bag that needs a new zipper.  Would I go to a shoe repair for a zipper?  I don't know where else I would go. Suggestions, please.  That bag was either $130 or $140 back then.   I wonder what they cost now?

Cat HappyCat Happy

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Louis Vuitton repairs their bags.  You can take it to any LV store, just be warned, they dont repair old ones free.  

I have a Noe Monogram that needed a strap and the strap was $150

Honored Contributor

@lianne wrote:

Louis Vuitton repairs their bags.  You can take it to any LV store, just be warned, they dont repair old ones free.  

I have a Noe Monogram that needed a strap and the strap was $150

Thank you,Lianne. The bag is too old to pay $150 or more even $100.  If the bag was looking like new (it is worn on  the edges) it would be a different story.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1, LV also will fix the edge for you.  I have had a few bags and wallets repaired, though not cheap, the bag comes back looking new.  Depending on how much they are now, it might be worth it.

Honored Contributor

Another thing to note:  Louis Vuitton gave a Special License to the French Luggage Company for about 20 years to make their product.  They made a Speedy Satchel style but it looks a lot different than today's Speedy Satchel.  These bags will not be repaired by Louis Vuitton under any circumstance.  They are 100% authentic but the materials no longer remain to make repairs.  In this case, repairs would have to be made by a Leathersmith, someone trusted.  I've seen some repairs made by Shoe Repair shops that have been deplorable, so no matter what, make sure the person doing the repair is talented, has experience with handbags and ask to see a couple examples of the repairs they do!  Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've had older accessory items repaired by both some clearners and shoe repair shops.  Not all of them do it, but I've found a few repair shops in my area that do good work. The repair prices often aren't inexpensive, but if the item is otherwise worth it, why not!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Another thing to note:  Louis Vuitton gave a Special License to the French Luggage Company for about 20 years to make their product.  They made a Speedy Satchel style but it looks a lot different than today's Speedy Satchel.  These bags will not be repaired by Louis Vuitton under any circumstance.  They are 100% authentic but the materials no longer remain to make repairs.  In this case, repairs would have to be made by a Leathersmith, someone trusted.  I've seen some repairs made by Shoe Repair shops that have been deplorable, so no matter what, make sure the person doing the repair is talented, has experience with handbags and ask to see a couple examples of the repairs they do!  Woman LOL 

My bag was purchased from Neiman Marcus or Marshall Fields in Chicago. It is amazing how prices have doubled or tripled.

kindness is strength