Honored Contributor

You will use this bag forever ...

I'm not watching the bag show - but I can hear the dialogue from where I"m workng.

A little while ago host said something about being able to use the bag for years and years .. she must be selling expensive bags.

I'm too much of cheapskate to spend a lot of money on a handbag.

And just the thought of using the same bag for years and years sends chills up and down my spine!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: You will use this bag forever ...

@ALRATIBA, The only thing I can offer is how you think when you are a handbag addict.  Mind you, you can always buy on sales, get as gifts, etc.  Once you have quite the collection, you do rotate between seasons, usage (larger versus crossbody, etc.).  So, you see, you really don’t think you are carrying the same bag forever.  What is older can become new again.  I’m admitting this in humility, not proud.  But I don’t drink or gamble and have been known to give some bags away.

Honored Contributor

I like good leather bags.  I have been this way since I was a teen.  My bags as well as my shoes last for years.

i learned that you should always buy the best you can afford for shoes, hand bags and winter coats.

Of course, you don't have to pay a lot of money for quality.  Buy on sale or clearance.

I consider all of my clothing and assessories as investments.  I would rather own one good item, than 10 cheap fall apart items.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT  I enjoyed reading your comment.  The only thing I'd like to say is to never apologize (I don't think you were going that) for buying what you want and like.

A purse is a very personal thing.  I would never consider buying a purse for anyone.  It's hard enough to find one I like.

I keep ordering purses (usually Dooney) and they just don't work so I send them back, over and over.

I know what I want but I can't find it....I am even willing to pay $400-$500 because I know I'll use it for some time.

I don't think I'm a purse addict but, like many of you, I know what I like and want.

Good post.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Annabellethecat66.  I do look forward to all your posts, and I hope Bill the Cat is drinking water!  You have a great sense of humor.

Esteemed Contributor

I  found a Brahmin tote in TjMax yesterday!

$159 their price. $279 on tag. 

I have many Brahmins and couldn’t believe they had just one! I checked it over well because sometimes there may be flaws. It’s a light taupe/ with gold highlights. I’ll save it for Spring.

Honored Contributor

The weight on some of these leather bags unless they are small cross body are too heavy for me. I love a leather tote and found the Vince Camuto totes are not quite as heavy so I bought one on clearance today. I was tempted by the small D&B tote, but even the smaller bags from them are so heavy once you get your stuff in them.

Esteemed Contributor

Back in the 50s when I was a kid, my dad had a nice leather briefcase.  That was his one and only.

Somewhere in time we have gotten away from this concept and now have closets full of options.

Not sure we are happier.

Honored Contributor

The longevity thing doesn't play with me. It's just an another excuse to buy a new bag. How long a bag will last only matters if one buys a single bag and uses it constantly until it wears out. Most of the women buying nicer bags don't do this and yet some, just like the hosts, continue to justify expenditures with that old adage... Bogus... They're fooling theselves and the hosts know it's just another sales ploy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Just like clothes, the “classics" are re-done every year. It might be the right style but it will be the wrong color, the wrong length etc.

I have learned if I go to eBay I can get almost anything I want and pay $.25 on the dollar. That way if my classic looks dated in a few years I haven’t invested a lot of money in it.