Trusted Contributor

Re: You will use this bag forever ...

I usually buy 1 or 2 GOOD handbags each year.  Some of mine are over 20 years old. I rotate by season, size, or color.  I also donate a few each year.  I do carry the ones that work for me...forever. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Back in the 50s when I was a kid, my dad had a nice leather briefcase.  That was his one and only.

Somewhere in time we have gotten away from this concept and now have closets full of options.

Not sure we are happier.

@Still Raining 

Back in the mid 70s to the late 80s ... I used a wine colored leather briefcase that cost me a fortune ... but t was an expense for work where that sort of that thing mattered.

I'm retired now and in my personal private life ... I don't have to deal with that.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I like good leather bags.  I have been this way since I was a teen.  My bags as well as my shoes last for years.

i learned that you should always buy the best you can afford for shoes, hand bags and winter coats.

Of course, you don't have to pay a lot of money for quality.  Buy on sale or clearance.

I consider all of my clothing and assessories as investments.  I would rather own one good item, than 10 cheap fall apart items.

@Carmie 

ITA .... you never regret having a good quality handbag, and getting a bargain makes it even better.  I once admired a black leather Furla handbag at Nordstroms, but wasn't going to pay $600.  Sigh.

Fast forward several months later and I got the same exact bag, new with tags on, on Ebay for $80.  The seller got it as a gift and didn't like it and wanted the money.  I still use that bag.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Wow, what a deal!  You hit the jackpot.

Honored Contributor

When I was young and had no money for hand bags period, I bought one and carried it until it fell apart. I now have a few what I consider expensive purses, that I tire of quickly and then hate to part with because I spent so much money on them. Cheaper bags these days do not hold up,even Lug, I guess I'm hard on my bags.