Honored Contributor

“You Too Can Play the Handbag Stock Market“

The above-titled article appears in today’s NY Times. Apparently high-end handbags are being purchased by some as an investment, akin to investing in the stock market. I won’t be doing this, lol. But it’s an interesting read.

I was unable to copy and paste the article from my iPad, so here’s the link:

https://nyti.ms/2PhJr3U

(If you don’t want to open the link, you can google the title, and the article will come up).

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

Re: “You Too Can Play the Handbag Stock Market“

Not going to do.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 I don't think it's anything new.  I had a friend once who collected Longaberger baskets because she thought they would increase in value (and it was important to keep the oringinal boxes too).  

Not me.  I buy handbags to use, and I don't change them out to match outfits or anything. Last night my husband came in and was asking about today's TSV's.  I said it was a Comfy Cozy (and tried to explain that to him) and an expensive handbag.  Now, some might not consider a $169 handbag expensive since it's not a D&B, but I do. Here's the conversation:

He says "You're not falling for it?" 

"No, I don't pay that for a handbag." 

"You did once."

"When?"

"That one sitting in the corner that you're not using."

"That's going to be my fall handbag, and I paid $2.88 for it."

I haven't changed over handbags since we've had an extended summer.  My summer handbag is a summer handbag mainly because it has a plastic-like outside so I don't have to worry about getting it dirty because I can just wash it.  

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I watch Youtubers who focus on luxury handbags.  Education, new items, history of the brand, "what' s in my bag" and sometimes re-selling.  According to them, there is a market for gently used bags, often at an increased price.   You have to know your stuff, and I doubt anyone is getting rich, but there is a market. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@handygal2  As with antiques, you have to find the right buyer. I'm not selling any of my handbags anymore because I can't get the right price.

And they don't eat anything and I don't have to pay taxes on themWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

@handygal2  As with antiques, you have to find the right buyer. I'm not selling any of my handbags anymore because I can't get the right price.

And they don't eat anything and I don't have to pay taxes on themWoman LOL

@VenturaHighway : Lol. Good point!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~