Valued Contributor

Re: Would you feel comfortable buying handbags from Ebay?

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I always look to see what kind of ratings a seller has and how much business they do, but it would be a good idea, as some of you have suggested, to also email with some specific questions. I never even thought about how, even though a purse can be listed as new with tags, it may still have absorbed unpleasant odors depending on where it's been. Wouldn't want that.

And thanks, @knittykitty , for the heads up about HSN at midnight. I'll be sure to check them out.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I did have a bad experience.  I asked my adult son to buy a Dooney bag-vintage style.  He did.  It looked nice, however it had a strange smell.  Honestly, it smelled like it had been in the trunk of a car or in a garage; it had a gasoline fumes smell.  I took a bar of soap and sliced slivers from it and placed it in cheesecloth and put it in the handbag to take away the smell.  That helped, but I was never happy with that bag.  No more ebay bags for me.

@maximillian   If it was truly a vintage bag, that could account for the smell and it may have been placed in someone's car trunk for years.  Vintage probably has odor just from age.

Honored Contributor

@knittykitty wrote:

I've bought many. check the seller's ratings, read to see if he/she sells purses, or if this is a one of kind. ask questions: smoke/pet free home? re: odors. 

I generally go for a deal that allows a return. never had to return a purse. 

I bought a Patricia Nash today at Marshall's. they carry many. not only for less, this one was marked down even more on clearance. 

some of her bags are very stiff and heavy empty, so I preferred to get one locally. good quality. 

PN is the TS on HSN tonigh. 

@knittykitty   TJ Maxx has some as well.

Honored Contributor

I have many designer bags from e-bay.  I know that Patricia Nash bags would probably be the real deal.  It's not a brand that China would "knock off" yet.

The fake knock offs are out there, but only for super high end bags and also Dooney and Coach and a few others which are well known and profitable.

I collect Dooney wallet bags and buy vintage from e-bay.  I must have purchased around 20 or so.  Over the years, I got two fake knock off bags.

The first time, I contacted the seller and got my money back and return shipping paid for with no problems.  I don't think the seller was aware it was fake.  

The second time, the seller was a PIA.  She insisted the bag was real and  she purchased it at a high end store in California. It was not.  The duck logo was glued on with yellow thick tacky stuff.  I pulled the logo half way off and sent her the picture.  She finally agreed to refund my money and I sent the bag back to her.

Then she insisted that she never received the bag.  I sent it and someone signed for it on her end, so I had proof.  It took a while, but I persisted and lodged a complaint through E-Bay and PayPal and finally got my money back.

I would and have purchased and sold items on e-bay.  I wouldn't hesitate.  I got some great deals.

if you have questions, ask the seller before you buy or bid.  Most people are very helpful and will even send additional pictures if you ask.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

There's a Patricia Nash handbag on QVC that I so want to buy, but it's just too expensive. Found the same thing on Ebay for less than half the price on here, but I can't help but wonder if it's for real. Says it's brand new and with the price tags, but I don't see how it can be the real deal. I mean, after all, if this isn't a fake, then why would the seller not ask more. What do you all think about buying name brands on Ebay? Thanks.

@qualityshopper 

I've gotten a few NWT bags at really great discounts.

Valued Contributor

@Carmie --Wow! That one seller sounded absolutely terrible. Glad you were finally able to get things resolved. Hopefully those types of incidents don't happen very often.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

There's a Patricia Nash handbag on QVC that I so want to buy, but it's just too expensive. Found the same thing on Ebay for less than half the price on here, but I can't help but wonder if it's for real. Says it's brand new and with the price tags, but I don't see how it can be the real deal. I mean, after all, if this isn't a fake, then why would the seller not ask more. What do you all think about buying name brands on Ebay? Thanks.

FWIW . I don't think Nash is a brand to be faked that much

could have got at a tag sale, or any other place,  

if the seller knows what they are doing they ask for the right price.

check their feedback and return policy and buy 

Ebay always stands with buyer,  

Honored Contributor

I buy a great deal from ebay but never a handbag.  A friend of mine as bought several Brahmin's bags and they are breath taking.  She does not get the cards to send in to register like I have with mine but we cannot tell the difference in the bags from retail to online.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

you are welcome! glad you saw my comments in time to catch the show. I tend to like the Nash options on HSN, plus they always have good flex pay options and they ship faster than QVC. 

today I snagged a 'map' wallet at Marshall's on a great markdown. try Marshalls. 

good luck!

:-)))

Super Contributor

I haven't seen any at my local TJM, but always check out the purses. a girl can't have too many, LOL

thanks!