Honored Contributor

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

[ Edited ]

It's all about the in-store experience.

Back in the 80's, I would buy Coach & my sweet, departed sissy would buy Dooney.  Once we decided on our bags, we made a day of it.  

We would go the Northpark, here in Dallas, and first stop was Neiman Marcus to purchase her Dooney.   They wrapped up her new purse in a thick board box & place in a glossy Neiman Marcus shopping bag.  Next stop, the Coach Store.  I got my purse w/ the same thick storage box & fancy shopping bag.   For the rest of the day, we pranced around Northpark Mall like we owned the place!!    The shopping bag was almost as coveted as the actual bags themselves.

To spend the same amount of $$ on a website like eBay or Q & have it delivered by UPS in a dusty cardboard box tossed near my front door?  No way.  I love the essence of an in-store purchase. And I should qualify even in-store at an outlet is missing the experience.   The beauty of the Internet is anyone, no matter how remote, can buy the same products I can just by dialing a 1-800 #....but ...they are missing out on the experience.  

And the glossy bag.  

And the prancing...giggle!  

(Miss you, sissy! 💛)

Honored Contributor

I have two "organizers" that fit beautifully in the bags that have no interior pockets (or only one).  My vintage Petit Noe has no pockets at all on the inside so this works out great for me, nothing rolls around and it's all organized.  The larger organizer I have used to go inside my large Cabos Mezzo.

The Noe line was actually what expensive wine or champagne came in and the ladies who had this "bag" with the drawstring didn't want to throw it away so some of them started using it as a handbag.  LV noticed and that's how the Noe was inspired.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 @Q4u @EdithEllenLily & LV lovers:

While I'm overwhelmed with adoration for my new LV damier ebene speedy 35 (it will be a long-term committed relationship), I have a mad crush on the mini speedy. Love to know if anyone has it, saw it, fondled it, or knows about it. The Speedy Nano:

louis-vuitton-nano-speedy-monogram-canvas-handbags--M61252_PM2_Front view.jpg

For all those occasions when one must mingle, professionally or socially, but doesn't want to leave a bag at the table or carry a larger one. Would hold keys, cell phone, business cards, lip gloss. Sigh. 6.3 x 4.3 x 3.5

Honored Contributor

Professor, I've seen and held the older version and it's a cutie, something that would hold just what you'd need for the evening but I'm not sure it would hold a 6Plus smart phone.  (one of the drawbacks to the Phablet .... Phone & Tablet)   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It's all about the in-store experience.

Back in the 80's, I would buy Coach & my sweet, departed sissy would buy Dooney.  Once we decided on our bags, we made a day of it.  

We would go the Northpark, here in Dallas, and first stop was Neiman Marcus to purchase her Dooney.   They wrapped up her new purse in a thick board box & place in a glossy Neiman Marcus shopping bag.  Next stop, the Coach Store.  I got my purse w/ the same thick storage box & fancy shopping bag.   For the rest of the day, we pranced around Northpark Mall like we owned the place!!    The shopping bag was almost as coveted as the actual bags themselves.

To spend the same amount of $$ on a website like eBay or Q & have it delivered by UPS in a dusty cardboard box tossed near my front door?  No way.  I love the essence of an in-store purchase. And I should qualify even in-store at an outlet is missing the experience.   The beauty of the Internet is anyone, no matter how remote, can buy the same products I can just by dialing a 1-800 #....but ...they are missing out on the experience.  

And the glossy bag.  

And the prancing...giggle!  

(Miss you, sissy! 💛)

@sidsmom:

Oh, I SO agree. 

The power of Ritual, in any setting.

The trappings.

{sigh}

Louis Vuitton stores do it right. Every touch. Suupreme patience as  you decide and look at more. Just as much attention to deciding on a key chain as a handbag. Lush boxes.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u:

Regarding sellers of fake LV, the shock of having to be responsible for knowing,

in another lifetime I was a trial attorney. Your vignettes shared above reminded me of the exact naive mindset when folks were found to have purchased STOLEN property. And surrender it immediately.

Respected Contributor

No defense or explanation necessary. A true classic.

At one time, I think I owned 25. I retain only one--the pochette accessoire. I did own the 25, 30 and 35 in Damier azur and ebene. Also in the classic LV. I adored them, because they made me feel like Audrey Hepburn! Smiley Happy  Almost indestructable! So lightweight.

Keep in mind that the costs of these bags jumped into the upper stratosphere. When I needed money, i was able to liquidate and make a profit. At one point, they were the price of some of the more expensive Dooney and Bourke bags. If you started off early, it was possible and they were made so well that they lasted for decades.

LVMH didn't like that and upped the price. Nothing justiified those price hikes except to make them unaffordable and out-of-reach for many. Not that I think anyone is "entitled," to those, but it was nice having them. I don't feel the same about Coach and Dooney and probably never will.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Professor, I've seen and held the older version and it's a cutie, something that would hold just what you'd need for the evening but I'm not sure it would hold a 6Plus smart phone.  (one of the drawbacks to the Phablet .... Phone & Tablet)   

@Q4u, fortunately, I only nurture a "crush" not a felt need on the little Speedy Nano. I suspect I will be more vulnerable to the small Speedy 25 Bandouliere for such occasions (mingling with a need for hands free, light weight).

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

Hey Miss EEL! 

Thanks for the notes and memories of the LV bags! 

Is your Mom letting you use the LV Speedy you found in her closet? 

She obviously has great taste and a great daughter.  (smile) 

Back in the early 70s I was in high school and the Southern  IT brand was JOHN ROMAINE 

I no longer have my JR bag but I do have the  JR WALLET that is a half moon shape and opens up with credit card slots on one half and coin pocket on other half. Cash goes in the side pocket. I also have a small address book with leather cover by John Romaine. The color is a burgundy leather.   My great-Aunt gave me these items so they have extra significance to me and I treasure them very much, 

My very first pocket book was a tiny bucket style (think small flower pot shape) in leather with fruit on top. I was about 4years old when my Mother gave me that purse.  I still have the little purse in a display cabinet in the living room!   

I have a  DKNY micro fiber/leather straps back pack style I have used for about 20years. It works for me even though I have other very nice bags, I keep going back to the DKNY. 

I  just received a nice D&B college logo cross body from QVC in Alabama Crimson with white  A's all over it and leather straps and zipper pulls.   ROLLTIDE!   CAT

@gacat123 Hi there! You are so kind. Woman Happy While I am not going to use my Mom's Louis Vuitton Speedy 25 or the matching LV wallet, I may look into getting a long strap so she can wear her bag again. Thank you for sharing your handbag stories! I loved reading them! It was so interesting to do a search on John Romain handbags and learn more about them. Enjoy your new Dooney Alabama crossbody and those wonderful memories. Your first pocketbook sounds precious, EEL

P.S. I have a cousin who went to Alabama!

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@winamac1 @Q4u @EdithEllenLily & LV lovers:

While I'm overwhelmed with adoration for my new LV damier ebene speedy 35 (it will be a long-term committed relationship), I have a mad crush on the mini speedy. Love to know if anyone has it, saw it, fondled it, or knows about it. The Speedy Nano:

louis-vuitton-nano-speedy-monogram-canvas-handbags--M61252_PM2_Front view.jpg

For all those occasions when one must mingle, professionally or socially, but doesn't want to leave a bag at the table or carry a larger one. Would hold keys, cell phone, business cards, lip gloss. Sigh. 6.3 x 4.3 x 3.5

love that!  I needed a strap on mine, and I never got one!  I don't carry it often!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"