Valued Contributor

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

[ Edited ]

I have gone through my Louis Vuitton stage but now I'm over it and am left with some very expensive handbags that I no longer use. I graduated from the cotton-coated monogram and moved onto the leather styles, all of which have been mothballed until I don't know when.  What a waste.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The dilemma for me, were I to opt at some point for another Speedy in one configuration or another, is whether to go the extra mile for the strap. Looking at the LV site, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it appears the bags crafted with the strap are over four hundred dollars more simply because of the strap and frankly, yes, that does seem more than a bit rich. As for adding a strap to an existing Speedy, or for that matter, a future one, the problem is that where it would have to be attached, I think, would make carrying the bag on the shoulder a bit awkward, and would be far from ideal. Still, it is an option.

I agree regarding the strap and the last strap I purchased around 2006 and it cost roughly $280 so it isn't a stretch to think that they are running $400 today.  I remember back then that LV was upping the prices for their bags (all styles and accessories) about every 3 - 6 months for quite some time!)  The straps have to be attached on the handle ring on each side.  So it would attach to the outside of the ring  on one side and then you'd attach to the opposite side on the other side.  I didn't find it ackward (for me) nor did I find the strap too thin for my shoulder even when the bag was loaded.  But some ladies do.....    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

Most don't have the money to spend on a purse that you can buy a small car with.

@Graydoxiechick

Even though people may have other ways to choose to spend their money, the appeal of the Louis Vuitton coated canvas is that it's under $1,000. No small car.

@1Professor

Please enlighten me ..... if the bag is primarily coated canvas, except for the straps, how do you not feel ripped off?    If it was 100% leather, that's another thing entirely .... but those bags can't possibly cost the manufacturer more than $20 each to make!

Louis Vuitton developed their own cotton canvas, and they developed their own PVC vinyl (both developments highly secret) and they have also developed their own way to apply one to the other.  

LV also is the only one who manufactures their product. This unique formulation is why LV's propriatary PVC Coated canvas lasts forever even with constant use.  I would be willing to bet that it and a good leather would probably last the same amount of time.  

There are other PVC coated canvas handbags out there.... (think Dooney) however, I've had Dooney's coated canvas crack and split in a few years of constant use and why I don't buy them anymore.  However, LV's....  yes, I'd buy another.  

LV also uses highly trained craftspeople to make their product.  They do use machines but (as anyone who sews knows) that is not the the end to making a product.  Each bag is hand assembled, etc.  It's not an assembly line.

Yes, LV makes boo-coo profit, but that's part of the cache of Louis Vuitton.  A lot of ladies buy it simply FOR the cache, others, it's the whole ball of wax and feel the item is worth every penny..... Woman Happy  

Honored Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

I have gone through my Louis Vuitton stage but now I'm over it and am left with some very expensive handbags that I no longer use. I graduated from the cotton-coated monogram and moved onto the leather styles, all of which have been mothballed until I don't know when.  What a waste.

These bags hold their resale value very well....Fashionphile.com is a reseller that I trust. Shes been on eBay for many years (still is) and has a store up in Beverly Hills that resells.  She also resells by mail and I believe all her info should be there.... good luck! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

These bags hold their resale value very well....Fashionphile.com is a reseller that I trust. Shes been on eBay for many years (still is) and has a store up in Beverly Hills that resells.  She also resells by mail and I believe all her info should be there.... good luck! 

It's cool being able to see what they will buy a bag back for as it gives you some idea of the average difference between what Fashionphile pays for the bags and what they're sold for. I'd checked out the website before and just took a quick look and though most of the bags look pristine, in many cases, the prices are too near the original price for me to seriously consider buying there... In the case of the few bags I checked out, for a few hundred more I could have a new bag directly from a LV store... On the other hand, you can catch some deals if you check out the discounted bags and aren't seeking 'new'. It's a nice site.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I have several pieces of LV, including luggage, but the Speedy 30 is probably my favorite. I was just looking at the website and would love to add the hatbox piece of luggage to my collection. 

I just got back from Paris and finally got to see their iconic store. Awesome! 

Honored Contributor

I think LV bags are the ugliest bags on the market! And the exorbitant price they ask for something so hideous? Disgraceful. 

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

LV lover right here.  My first purchase was a Speedy 30 in monogram print.  In fact, I've only purchased the original monogram print.  I then bought the smaller speedy (25?) off of Ebay after doing heavy research on spotting the authentic LVs vs. the fake ones.  I also purchased a vintage LV duffle bag, bucket bag with leather trim in the center which is no longer made, and my husband bought me an LV as my wedding gift.  They are classic and timeless and I love the history of them.  I've used a checkbook style wallet that I purchased brand new in 2003 and it's still just as gorgeous 13 years later.  The quality of LV lasts forever.   

Trusted Contributor

@Tishalish wrote:

LV lover right here.  My first purchase was a Speedy 30 in monogram print.  In fact, I've only purchased the original monogram print.  I then bought the smaller speedy (25?) off of Ebay after doing heavy research on spotting the authentic LVs vs. the fake ones.  I also purchased a vintage LV duffle bag, bucket bag with leather trim in the center which is no longer made, and my husband bought me an LV as my wedding gift.  They are classic and timeless and I love the history of them.  I've used a checkbook style wallet that I purchased brand new in 2003 and it's still just as gorgeous 13 years later.  The quality of LV lasts forever.   

A girl after my own heart...all of my pieces are in the monogram as well. That is not to say I don't love some of the other designs, but I just wanted to stick with what I started with. 

Elizabeth Taylor would agree with our love of LV....except for LV stores she had more pieces than I have ever seen and never traveled with anything else.

I love the history of LV as well...very interesting. My husband carried a LV briefcase to work with him every day for years and it is still in fine shape.  

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

My first LV was a Speedy.

I just bought the new IENA tote on Saturday at LV in Easton Place--Columbus!!  I have been waiting for a zip top tote!

Yay....good for you and enjoy this gorgeous bag!  I have a tote, but it isn't zippered....so wish it was.