Honored Contributor

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

@MissRose722 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Just a quick word of warning regarding Louis Vuitton's VERNIS.

VERNIS is a gorgeous, high-end patent leather and it is superbly made but the lighter colors of this patent leather (like all light colored patent leathers) will absorb clothing dyes.  Even well-washed denim will likely (eventually) transfer a blue discoloration to a light colored patent leather.  Watch out when wearing black suede and carrying a Vernis.  

This line of handbags are gorgeous, and I don't recall the darker colors showing this problem,  But to be fair ALL lighter patent leather will do this (no matter the cost) and even plastic, not leather patents will also absorb dyes so it isn't just Louis Vuitton.

I've never purchased a Vernis but I did evaluate one at a resale shop and it was a pale yellow (forget the style) and it had several light blue dye marks on it.... what a shame, probably cost the owner $2k.  Gorgeous, special occasion handbags...... but will require special handling and carefully picking out the clothing to wear with it.  

Q4U, Thank you for your excellent comments about LV Vernis.  Although I do not have any LV Vernis handbags, I do have a Vernis Key Pouch in the color Dune (photo below).  I keep it in my handbags with the lighter colored interiors and so far, so good.

Always enjoy reading your comments as you are a true authority of all things LV!

20151125_175405.jpg

That is JUST beautiful!!  I'm so glad you've been able to keep it in its remarkable condition....  I love the plaque on the front and love the color!  Really cute pouch..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Thank you so much, Q4U - it's greatly appreciated!  And quite handy for cash, cards, etc. - it's a keeper for sure!

Honored Contributor

@MissRose722 wrote:

Thank you so much, Q4U - it's greatly appreciated!  And quite handy for cash, cards, etc. - it's a keeper for sure!

I used to buy a matching Cles for every purse.... supposed to be for keys and change but I used to keep my sugar-free mints in them so they wouldn't roll around my bag....lol! The little ones are SO handy!  Woman LOL    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a few: Monogram, Epi and Vernis.  I grew up with the Speedy as well as the Chanel Flap; it was simply a classic look.

They have changed over the decades in many ways but I will tell you this:

my in-laws traveled for YEARS with LV luggage and never worried about it. Today, those same pieces sit in my house and are used in different ways and the quality is over the top. It was a time when traveling was elegant and special and magical. 

I haven't bought a LV in years; don't need to. I have enough bags to keep me going for a long time. I take care of my things and these bags look brand new despite my Speedy being used as a diaper bag, lol. Worth every penny : )

Hermes is another amazing brand but often misunderstood : )

Respected Contributor

There are many ways to reward yourself, motivate yourself, celebrate an accomplishment.

B0lM1V7CQAAK4Hh.jpg-large.jpeg

There are also many ways to adjust one's possessions and finances, in order to afford a luxury handbag.

Honored Contributor

The dilemma for me, were I to opt at some point for another Speedy in one configuration or another, is whether to go the extra mile for the strap. Looking at the LV site, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it appears the bags crafted with the strap are over four hundred dollars more simply because of the strap and frankly, yes, that does seem more than a bit rich. As for adding a strap to an existing Speedy, or for that matter, a future one, the problem is that where it would have to be attached, I think, would make carrying the bag on the shoulder a bit awkward, and would be far from ideal. Still, it is an option.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The dilemma for me, were I to opt at some point for another Speedy in one configuration or another, is whether to go the extra mile for the strap. Looking at the LV site, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it appears the bags crafted with the strap are over four hundred dollars more simply because of the strap and frankly, yes, that does seem more than a bit rich. As for adding a strap to an existing Speedy, or for that matter, a future one, the problem is that where it would have to be attached, I think, would make carrying the bag on the shoulder a bit awkward, and would be far from ideal. Still, it is an option.

Like you, I don't care for a shoulder strap attached to the handles.  It looks terrible (IMO), and it is awkward to carry as the opening is narrow. Also, the bag hangs funny because one end of the strap is connected to the front of the bag and the other end is connected to the rear.  For that price, it should hang perfectly and be comfortable.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

Most don't have the money to spend on a purse that you can buy a small car with.

@Graydoxiechick

Even though people may have other ways to choose to spend their money, the appeal of the Louis Vuitton coated canvas is that it's under $1,000. No small car.

@1Professor

Please enlighten me ..... if the bag is primarily coated canvas, except for the straps, how do you not feel ripped off?    If it was 100% leather, that's another thing entirely .... but those bags can't possibly cost the manufacturer more than $20 each to make!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@steviebwrote:

For me, the bags simply have quiet, intrinsic style... Their design, structure and overall look is, to use a currently over-used word, iconic... They have become rather commonplace so no longer hold quite the level of panache they did when they were more of a rarity, but still, when I see someone carrying a LV or any truely 'better' designer bag, I almost always take a second look... For me, they have that indescribable something that most other bags simply don't have... And yes, they're built to last, the materials are highest quality and customer service is among the best...

Great thread @1Professor

@stevieb~ so true, many LV bags including the Speedy have become the "iconic" bag for most of us.  

Trusted Contributor

I also am enjoying reading this thread. Interesting history. I have an Alma, a Christmas present from DH, 2000. In subsequent years, he gave me the matching wallet, keychain with pouch, and cosmetic case. Each still looks great. Once, I accidentally slammed my keychain in the door. I went to LV, prepared to pay the repair cost, and they replaced it (no charge). I have seen many of the LV Speedy handbags, and they're beautiful. Classic.