Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag


@JavaQueen wrote:

No defense or explanation necessary. A true classic.

 

At one time, I think I owned 25. I retain only one--the pochette accessoire. I did own the 25, 30 and 35 in Damier azur and ebene. Also in the classic LV. I adored them, because they made me feel like Audrey Hepburn! Smiley Happy  Almost indestructable! So lightweight.

 

Keep in mind that the costs of these bags jumped into the upper stratosphere. When I needed money, i was able to liquidate and make a profit. At one point, they were the price of some of the more expensive Dooney and Bourke bags. If you started off early, it was possible and they were made so well that they lasted for decades.

LVMH didn't like that and upped the price. Nothing justiified those price hikes except to make them unaffordable and out-of-reach for many. Not that I think anyone is "entitled," to those, but it was nice having them. I don't feel the same about Coach and Dooney and probably never will.


I only own 3.  I won't get another one for a long time!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,153
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

[ Edited ]

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@1Professor You know I love your beautiful new LV and I also think it's very smart how you bought it! Why keep handbags that do not work for you? Woman Happy This is a lesson for all of us!

 

I recently found my Mom's LV Speedy 25 (Monogram) buried in one of her closets. She hasn't carried it for several years because she's on a walker so she does not fall due to a medical ailment. I read about cleaning the coated canvas exterior and cleaned it yesterday. It looks much better! By the way, long ago way before I became enamoured with handbags, my Mom had another monogram LV Speedy 25 and when it became too worn, the LV store gave her a brand new one! So, this is her replacement bag! She also has the matching LV monogram wallet so I guess I now know where I get that 'matching thing' from. Woman Wink Through the years Mom had several fashionable handbags but then pared down to just that one LV. Maybe we become smarter as the years go on. 

 

Personally, I like the look of the one you chose better than the LV monogram. Yours is simply gorgeous! I know you will love to carry it...Heart

 

Enjoy, EEL 


 

@EdithEllenLily  It's amazing how diverse our backgrounds are...

My step mother (adopted, so never met my biological mother, my adopted mother died when I was 9 and my adopted father remaried) carried 2 handbags throughout the years til her death in 2003. Both were from our family church sale back in CT when I was growing up. One was a black patent leather handbag she used for church and special occasions and only spent $1.50 for it. The other was also from the church sale and it was a no name brand, and faux leather. If I remember correctly, she only spent $1 for it.

 

I didn't carry a handbag til I was a senior in high school. Up until then from about when I was 12 til a senior in highshool in 1977, I carried one of those generic canvas totes for my lunch and books.

From when I was 18 til I was in my mid twenties, I carried a clearance rack black handbag I think I paid $10 for...and didn't get another handbag til the strap broke when I was in my mid-late 30's. Then I found another clearance no name brand handbag and I think it cost about $19.99. I carried that until I was recovering from lung cancer surgery...laying on the couch watching the tv all the time and discovering QVC, NYMaxx, Tig, and Stone Mountain.

The rest has been a snowball into mainly D&B and VB...LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,288
Registered: ‎08-30-2013

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag


@Susan Louise wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@1Professor You know I love your beautiful new LV and I also think it's very smart how you bought it! Why keep handbags that do not work for you? Woman Happy This is a lesson for all of us!

 

I recently found my Mom's LV Speedy 25 (Monogram) buried in one of her closets. She hasn't carried it for several years because she's on a walker so she does not fall due to a medical ailment. I read about cleaning the coated canvas exterior and cleaned it yesterday. It looks much better! By the way, long ago way before I became enamoured with handbags, my Mom had another monogram LV Speedy 25 and when it became too worn, the LV store gave her a brand new one! So, this is her replacement bag! She also has the matching LV monogram wallet so I guess I now know where I get that 'matching thing' from. Woman Wink Through the years Mom had several fashionable handbags but then pared down to just that one LV. Maybe we become smarter as the years go on. 

 

Personally, I like the look of the one you chose better than the LV monogram. Yours is simply gorgeous! I know you will love to carry it...Heart

 

Enjoy, EEL 


 

@EdithEllenLily  It's amazing how diverse our backgrounds are...

My step mother (adopted, so never met my biological mother, my adopted mother died when I was 9 and my adopted father remaried) carried 2 handbags throughout the years til her death in 2003. Both were from our family church sale back in CT when I was growing up. One was a black patent leather handbag she used for church and special occasions and only spent $1.50 for it. The other was also from the church sale and it was a no name brand, and faux leather. If I remember correctly, she only spent $1 for it.

 

I didn't carry a handbag til I was a senior in high school. Up until then from about when I was 12 til a senior in highshool in 1977, I carried one of those generic canvas totes for my lunch and books.

From when I was 18 til I was in my mid twenties, I carried a clearance rack black handbag I think I paid $10 for...and didn't get another handbag til the strap brok when I was in my mid-late 30's. Then I found another clearance no name brand handbag and I think it cost about $19.99. I carried that until I was recovering from lung cancer surgery...laying on the couch watching the tv all the time and discovering QVC, NYMaxx, Tig, and Stone Mountain.

The rest has been a snowball into mainly D&B and VB...LOL


@Susan Louise And you have some lovely D&B handbags!!! Yes, between watching QVC and coming on these boards, I have accumulated several (really, too many) handbags. Our elders' generation and the one before them were more prudent in many respects, possibly from being raised/living in the Depression era. I miss the old Maxx New York handbags and also Stone Mountain on QVC. I am thinking of finding a consignment store to sell some of my handbags so I can buy a Louis Vuitton, just as @1Professor did. I think I could justify it better that way! I was sorry to read you had lung cancer surgery and hope you are doing well now. Heart

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,153
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

[ Edited ]

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@1Professor You know I love your beautiful new LV and I also think it's very smart how you bought it! Why keep handbags that do not work for you? Woman Happy This is a lesson for all of us!

 

I recently found my Mom's LV Speedy 25 (Monogram) buried in one of her closets. She hasn't carried it for several years because she's on a walker so she does not fall due to a medical ailment. I read about cleaning the coated canvas exterior and cleaned it yesterday. It looks much better! By the way, long ago way before I became enamoured with handbags, my Mom had another monogram LV Speedy 25 and when it became too worn, the LV store gave her a brand new one! So, this is her replacement bag! She also has the matching LV monogram wallet so I guess I now know where I get that 'matching thing' from. Woman Wink Through the years Mom had several fashionable handbags but then pared down to just that one LV. Maybe we become smarter as the years go on. 

 

Personally, I like the look of the one you chose better than the LV monogram. Yours is simply gorgeous! I know you will love to carry it...Heart

 

Enjoy, EEL 


 

@EdithEllenLily  It's amazing how diverse our backgrounds are...

My step mother (adopted, so never met my biological mother, my adopted mother died when I was 9 and my adopted father remaried) carried 2 handbags throughout the years til her death in 2003. Both were from our family church sale back in CT when I was growing up. One was a black patent leather handbag she used for church and special occasions and only spent $1.50 for it. The other was also from the church sale and it was a no name brand, and faux leather. If I remember correctly, she only spent $1 for it.

 

I didn't carry a handbag til I was a senior in high school. Up until then from about when I was 12 til a senior in highshool in 1977, I carried one of those generic canvas totes for my lunch and books.

From when I was 18 til I was in my mid twenties, I carried a clearance rack black handbag I think I paid $10 for...and didn't get another handbag til the strap brok when I was in my mid-late 30's. Then I found another clearance no name brand handbag and I think it cost about $19.99. I carried that until I was recovering from lung cancer surgery...laying on the couch watching the tv all the time and discovering QVC, NYMaxx, Tig, and Stone Mountain.

The rest has been a snowball into mainly D&B and VB...LOL


@Susan Louise And you have some lovely D&B handbags!!! Yes, between watching QVC and coming on these boards, I have accumulated several (really, too many) handbags. Our elders' generation and the one before them were more prudent in many respects, possibly from being raised/living in the Depression era. I miss the old Maxx New York handbags and also Stone Mountain on QVC. I am thinking of finding a consignment store to sell some of my handbags so I can buy a Louis Vuitton, just as @1Professor did. I think I could justify it better that way! I was sorry to read you had lung cancer surgery and hope you are doing well now. Heart


@EdithEllenLily Thank you...just a grateful 12 yr survivor now Smiley Happy

We have no really good consignment shops here and I can't be bothered with selling on EBay. I bring my new, never used (like the few D&B janines I had or very gently used) to the homeless shelter. The pastor there distributes them for Christmas or B-Day gifts there and/or to the battered women's shelter which makes me feel so good. I think I have given them about 10-15 over the past 5 yrs Smiley Happy

 

As for the LV, I was more curious about the quality and how much better it could be than D&B if I have a few of their high end bags (not the very expensive $500+...but close). I guess I will have to take a trip to a mall sometime before the holidays and ask one of the clerks to bring one up from behind the counter for me to see in person.

 

@1Professor  TY for posting all the info/background! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,887
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

@1Professor - great story and pictures. 

 

I own two treasures that I purchased many years ago the Alma multicolor in white which I hardly use anymore but it is the only white bag I've owned that has been able to stay clean and still look like the day I brought it.  I also brought the Ellipse PM with the wallet and purchased a shoulder strap separately....I truly was drawn to the shape and uniqueness of this bag and use it quite frequently she still turns heads when I carry her too.

 

The Damier and the Epi leather are also favorites but I did not purchase any in those styles. 

 

Enjoy your treasure ladies.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 63,522
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

[ Edited ]

For me, the bags simply have quiet, intrinsic style... Their design, structure and overall look is, to use a currently over-used word, iconic... They have become rather commonplace so no longer hold quite the level of panache they did when they were more of a rarity, but still, when I see someone carrying a LV or any truely 'better' designer bag, I almost always take a second look... For me, they have that indescribable something that most other bags simply don't have... And yes, they're built to last, the materials are highest quality and customer service is among the best...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,210
Registered: ‎03-23-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

I appreciate a genuine Louis. Around here imitations are carried by many of the locals.

 

Personally, I would never purchase a used one.  Even at resale they are expensive, so I would just save for an original.  Although they claim the used ones are in great condition, I just couldn't bring myself to carry another woman's used Louis.  😝

Super Contributor
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎10-26-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

1Professor, Thank you so much for creating this thread and congratulations on your Speedy B 30 purchase - enjoy!  And I agree with everything you said in your post!

 

I have always coveted LV handbags but could not afford them in my younger years.  Now that I am older, and with more income to spend, I started purchasing my LV handbags five years ago.  Quality products, and the prestigious history of the brand are the two main reasons why I buy LV.  The first LV handbag I ever purchased is a Speedy 30 in Damier Azur.  One of my latest LV purchases is another Speedy 30 in Damier Ebene.  Both are pictured below - the DA version is adorned with the LV Monogram Map Bandeau in Rose Clair Pistache, and the DE version is adorned with the LV Leopard Bandeau.

20140927_180515.jpg

 

20160201_173854 (4).jpg

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,886
Registered: ‎03-17-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

Just a quick word of warning regarding Louis Vuitton's VERNIS.

 

VERNIS is a gorgeous, high-end patent leather and it is superbly made but the lighter colors of this patent leather (like all light colored patent leathers) will absorb clothing dyes.  Even well-washed denim will likely (eventually) transfer a blue discoloration to a light colored patent leather.  Watch out when wearing black suede and carrying a Vernis.  

 

This line of handbags are gorgeous, and I don't recall the darker colors showing this problem,  But to be fair ALL lighter patent leather will do this (no matter the cost) and even plastic, not leather patents will also absorb dyes so it isn't just Louis Vuitton.

 

I've never purchased a Vernis but I did evaluate one at a resale shop and it was a pale yellow (forget the style) and it had several light blue dye marks on it.... what a shame, probably cost the owner $2k.  Gorgeous, special occasion handbags...... but will require special handling and carefully picking out the clothing to wear with it.  

 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor
Posts: 412
Registered: ‎10-26-2010

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag


@Q4u wrote:

Just a quick word of warning regarding Louis Vuitton's VERNIS.

 

VERNIS is a gorgeous, high-end patent leather and it is superbly made but the lighter colors of this patent leather (like all light colored patent leathers) will absorb clothing dyes.  Even well-washed denim will likely (eventually) transfer a blue discoloration to a light colored patent leather.  Watch out when wearing black suede and carrying a Vernis.  

 

This line of handbags are gorgeous, and I don't recall the darker colors showing this problem,  But to be fair ALL lighter patent leather will do this (no matter the cost) and even plastic, not leather patents will also absorb dyes so it isn't just Louis Vuitton.

 

I've never purchased a Vernis but I did evaluate one at a resale shop and it was a pale yellow (forget the style) and it had several light blue dye marks on it.... what a shame, probably cost the owner $2k.  Gorgeous, special occasion handbags...... but will require special handling and carefully picking out the clothing to wear with it.  

 


Q4U, Thank you for your excellent comments about LV Vernis.  Although I do not have any LV Vernis handbags, I do have a Vernis Key Pouch in the color Dune (photo below).  I keep it in my handbags with the lighter colored interiors and so far, so good.

 

Always enjoy reading your comments as you are a true authority of all things LV!

 

20151125_175405.jpg