Respected Contributor

Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

Having just bought a Louis Vuitton Speedy Bandouliere 30, I was recently asked "why." For handbag lovers, it's worth talking about, whether or not you'd ever buy one.

suitcases.jpg

Louis Vuitton started as a luggage maker in the late 1800s, when travel by rail involved many suitcases that took a beating: canvas over wood base. LV’s coated cotton canvas was something of a revolutionary product at the time and differentiated the luggage-maker from its competitors.

LV then created a duffel bag for travelers, beyond the bulky suitcase known as the Keepall. Later the everyday version of the Keepall for travelers to keep their necessities on quick weekend trips between cities, so the Speedy was born. It was named the Express and later renamed to Speedy. The original Speedy was 30 cm, but when Audrey Hepburn requested it, LV created the classic Speedy 25 which became iconic.

Unknown.jpeg

The LV canvas is known to be more durable and water-resistant than most leathers. Louis Vuitton bags are practically indestructible: Vuitton has excellent repair service, sometimes free! There are over 100 steps in the creation of the coated canvas alone.

Why choose an LV? Just like with art, music, wine, people’s tastes differ. People will pay thousands for an artist’s work; in psychology this is the study of Essentialism (the value an object goes beyond the actual object to its history, who made it, who gave it to you). Some spend thousands for vacations, boats, homes, cars, wines. The LV speedy is one of the cheaper designer bags you can get, far below other ordinary indulgences. The spending/saving of money is highly subjective.

If you love the LV bags, it is probably not about status (which is not the reaction anyone gets to carrying an LV coated cotton anyway). LV handbag owners love the history, the shape, the design, the light-weight. Don’t assume people are rich or have money to waste. From the many blogs and YouTube videos, you can see that ordinary folks save up for the bag. Or sell/consign other possessions (me) to get one.

SpeedyBandouliere.jpg

Love to hear from other LV handbag lovers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Why Some Love the Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag

Most don't have the money to spend on a purse that you can buy a small car with.

Honored Contributor

I wanted one years ago, but didn't buy it.  I like them, but have no need for one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

Most don't have the money to spend on a purse that you can buy a small car with.

@Graydoxiechick

Even though people may have other ways to choose to spend their money, the appeal of the Louis Vuitton coated canvas is that it's under $1,000. No small car.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor You know I love your beautiful new LV and I also think it's very smart how you bought it! Why keep handbags that do not work for you? Woman Happy This is a lesson for all of us!

I recently found my Mom's LV Speedy 25 (Monogram) buried in one of her closets. She hasn't carried it for several years because she's on a walker so she does not fall due to a medical ailment. I read about cleaning the coated canvas exterior and cleaned it yesterday. It looks much better! By the way, long ago way before I became enamoured with handbags, my Mom had another monogram LV Speedy 25 and when it became too worn, the LV store gave her a brand new one! So, this is her replacement bag! She also has the matching LV monogram wallet so I guess I now know where I get that 'matching thing' from. Woman Wink Through the years Mom had several fashionable handbags but then pared down to just that one LV. Maybe we become smarter as the years go on. 

Personally, I like the look of the one you chose better than the LV monogram. Yours is simply gorgeous! I know you will love to carry it...Heart

Enjoy, EEL 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Back in the 1990s, I carried my LV bag a lot until so many fakes flooded the market. It kind of ruined it for me. And then the trend moved away from the idea of having a logo, however classic, all over a bag. I love the look of the bag you showed, and that particular one not badly priced if you want a coated fabric bag like  LV. It is one of the better buys but I am not into the checks. At least the initials aren't all over it! 

Frequent Contributor

I really like the checkared one you picture.  I don't like the regular ones, the print & color I find ugly.  I would buy the one you pictured but it just too expensive for me.

Honored Contributor

Oh boy.... this is my forte'.... LOVE the history and exceptionalism of Louis Vuitton.  I have owned many and know the product very well, including those products made between roughly 1975 - 1995 by the French Luggage Company and those items that used to be sold by Saks .  I used to offer my services to Estate Sale dealers years ago, who notoriously would sell whatever they found in closets, most of which were not authentic.  

Back in the 1800's, when Louis Vuitton first started out, they had the dark brown Damier design (small squares) that became 'the rage' and was instantly duplicated by other companies for the travel set.  In order to fight the counterfeits (yes, there were serious counterfeiting way back in the late 1800's) that Louis Vuitton began developing the iconic LV logo (1880), which was difficult to duplicate.  Over the years, the LV logo has changed to incorporate shading, difficult to notice and copy spacing, color, all of which has become more and more complicated (including the Damier) over the years as counterfeits have become increasingly more accurate.

The OP is absolutely correct that these bags are virtually indestructable.  Mainly because LV produces their own canvas and has developed their own PVC outer covering over the canvas. Researched and Developed by LV and only manufactured by LV and that's why the counterfeits can't duplicate the wear., fake LVs simply split and fall apart with wear.  I had a vintage LV Speedy from the 60's that was in beautiful condition and only recently re-sold it.  Real ones maintain their resale value.

LV ONLY sells their product at their own Boutiques and Select high end Dept stores by their OWN employees.  Even when they sell at Saks or Neimans, they lease their counterspace and provide only their own employees!  They sell their product on their own website as well, however be absolutely certain it is LV's website and not a fake one to look like theirs.

LV will never ever sell their product at a reduced price.  It is full retail or nothing.  They do not have Outlets.  They never have sales or clearances.  If the product has been on their shelves for too long (often the Vachetta leather has darkened considerably by then).... the product is sent back to the manufacturer of origin and destroyed. Woman SurprisedWoman Sad  

Also LV never lets another manufacturer produce their product (except for one 20 year period, which they regretted) and they never wholesale or allow anyone other than Louis Vuitton employees to distribute their product.  They also never sell their materials.... ever.  So if you see a fabric somewhere that has a Louis Vuitton logo all over it you can be certain it's counterfeit.

I love the product.  I don't know of any other company that has such tight stringent rules in place in order to protect the integrity of their line and company.  When I purchased an LV, I was also purchasing the reputation of the company as well which has incredibly high standards.  I respect that....  Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@1Professor

Thank you for the history of LV.  I like your choice of handbags. 

LV's customer care is excellent. 

I hope you enjoy your handbag for years to come 🙂

Honored Contributor

BTW, LV has quite a few luxury leather lines, the EPI line is incredible, much like Saffiano.  Worth checking into if you don't care for the logos.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*