Honored Contributor

Re: Who else Has had it With Heavy Bags?

Yesterday my husband handed me my handbag. My phone was ringing. He said as he handed it to me "What do you have in that thing?  I can't believe how heavy it is."

Guess he knows now why I rarely carry a handbag anymore. Pockets seem to work just fine.

Respected Contributor

I have never liked heavy bags.  I must have certain features like 2 outside zipper pockets and I do like a center divider with zipper.  I have bought several nylon bags (and vinyl, too) from Amazon with good results.  I make my educated guess after reading their many reviews and am generally satisfied with the bag when it arrives.  They are very affordable, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I have shoulder issues and gave up on heavy bags long ago.  My pretty Dooney bags went out as gifts. For Patricia Nash fans, I can't handle her leather bags, but she has a coated linen line and I have a couple of these (Carmini). They are perfect for right now and have pockets and are easy care. She seems to be adding different styles to the line.  Very nice Heart

Carmini Crossbody - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Multi - Carmini Crossbody - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Multi

Carmini Crossbody - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Antique Rose - Carmini Crossbody - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Antique Rose

Alatri Everyday Bag - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Multi - Alatri Everyday Bag - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Multi

Ria Tote - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Antique Rose - Ria Tote - Patina Coated Linen Canvas Antique Rose

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you on heavy bags. I still have too many Dooneys, Brahamins and a couple of Coach bags that I just don't carry any more since I retired. At 72, I find they are just too heavy, and for the few places that I go now, they're just too much. I bought a Michael Kors smaller coated cotton satchel that I like, but it's a bit small and the handles are awkward when using the shoulder strap.

A few weeks ago I pulled out a small Vera tote (I don't consider it small at all), and once again it's proving to be just what will work for me. Extremely lightweight, plenty of pockets,  more room than I really need, and the pattern is subtle. I'd rather have more room than not enough room. I carry very little, but I like a lightweight, organized bag that is attractive and my old Vera is what's working for me right now.

Respected Contributor

Some bags are heavy before you put anything in them.  I carry the lightest bags I can find--Kiplings are light, Baggalini, also Vera Bradley.  I have a few leather bags but rarely carry them.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you, I feel the same way.   Leather bags can be so heavy and difficult to carry.  I have been using more of backpack type bags now for several years.  Though I still own many nice leather bags I don't always use them.  I have lots of lighter crossbody type bags (Vera Bradley, Lug) for travel.   When we downsized I donated about 20 bags to a womens shelter.  Just don't have a need for them.   

Honored Contributor

Both hands raised here!!! I've given up all my leather Dooney's, LV bags and several leather Coach bags. I've whittled down my "take alongs" so I can now fit everything into small nylon Baggalina crossbody bags, a nylon Tumi and a small nylon fairly expensive quilted bag (can't remember the brand name...Nordstrom) for when I dress up (not often). 

Esteemed Contributor

Yup! My husband bought me (3) lovely Dooney & Bourke bags. They're made so well, but with that hard leather and hardware, it can really hurt your shoulder. I love them - but switched to Michael Kors. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also gave up my heavy leather bags several years ago. Those heavy bags stuffed with so much stuff were hurting my shoulder. I still prefer a leather or faux leather bag, but it must be small & lightweight. I have 2 small RL leather crossbody bags that I’ve owned & used for several years. Still look great. 

I tried a nylon bag a few years ago. Loved the compartments & lightweight material, but it fell apart after a few months. This was after I retired from working so I wasn’t even carrying it every day. I do not consider myself rough on my bags either. Maybe it was a “lemon”, but I’m not going there again.