Honored Contributor

Re: Who Has Been Waiting for a Non-Leather Bag?

$80 for a plastic bag?  No way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@CARMIE wrote:

$80 for a plastic bag?  No way.  

*********  Kipling bags are not plastic, Carmie.  They are made out of parachute material and it's not slippery or thin.  It has some heft to it. Not at all like some of the old nylon bags. You almost can't destroy it.  I have leather handbags that are close to $200 but the Kipling is the one I always reach for. It has the hooks that turn where the shoulder straps attach so it can't get twisted, handles if you prefer, shoulder to cross body,  and the zippers are heavy and very durable. Quality all the way through. I thought the same as you do until I carried one.  These new ones will look nice to go out to eat and yet I can sit on bleachers at a horse show or 4H fair and not worry about it.  Just wipe them off and they are good to go!  Gee, I sound like a host of QVC!!  lol!

Honored Contributor

I don't like spending the money for leather handbags, but I'm so hard on my bags. I bought a Lug crossbody not a year ago and it looks like I've been using it for years. I did buy another one though because I like the organization and the price point. Vera Bradley IMO is dated, I donated all my VB bags and totes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course, if you want to go all in and designer, Stella McCartney has a vegan bag which strap is about 3 inches wide and bears her name in larger-than-life letters on the strap.  Keep smiling.  If you keep smiling when you see the price, I will be surprised as I was to see the price of  $ 760.00. 

Regular Contributor

@Jubilant  Totally agreee about Kipling!  I'm just bought my second one; a zip tote-style that can be carried as a backpack in metallic gold.  It replaced a metallic rose gold crossbody (for medical reasons, I needed to distribute the weight across my back rather than on one hip since I'm using a cane for a while).  

They're funky cute, light weight, and sturdy.  I'm just sorry that the Q didn't have this style in the material I wanted, because Kipling's website, Amazon and Macy's (where I eventually order this from) charge more for the metallic styles.  My first one (from the Q) was the same price as their other colors/fabrics.  

When I was seaching for this purse I saw some faux leather backpacks that I liked, but even they couldn't compete with this weight-wise.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maloyo 

I received my Dolan bag and have been carrying it the last few days.  I am really liking it....so much so I had to write a review on it.  I don't think the review is up yet.  My leather bags have become so heavy and after open heart surgery it takes quite a while for the sternum to heal.  In fact, I still can't sleep on my side very long after over a year.  These lightweight bags are much easier on my body.  This Dolan is so classy looking.  I'm so happy with this purse.  Handbags are a big thing in a woman's life!!!