Respected Contributor

What's the best place to donate a lightly used handbag that will get the best price for the agency who sells it?  I have a Patricia Nash bag I carried for a few months, but it's just not working for me, it's just too "little", even though the measturements online implied it ought to have been fine.  The tooling on the front of the bag is beautiful, but when I have to worry about stuff falling out if the bag tips over in the car, it just isn't worth carrying.  I'd like to donate it somewhere that it will bring a good price for the shop that sells it, if at all possible.  I'm guessing Goodwill isn't going to benefit as much as some other charities might, for instance, but I don't know, so I'm asking you knowledgable handbag collectors for advice.  Thanks in advance!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Where to donate handbags

@CamilleP     The local animal shelter by us has a thrift shop that is part of the shelter and they accept items of all kinds.  Jewelry, clothing, purses, toys, photo frames, etc.  All the money from that goes to the animal shelter itself.  Check and see if in your area there might be a thrift shop whose proceeds go to an animal shelter.  

Trusted Contributor

@CamilleP in our town we have a boutique-type thrift store that benefits homeless women. I give my good bags and shoes and coats there. Even small pieces of jewelry.

Best wishes!

-Solar Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Expensive handbags never sell for much when they are sold by donation centers.

I have a SIL who visits the thrift shops and buys expensive items for pennies on the dollar.  She then sells them on Poshmark and makes her income that way.  

Her sister has been doing this for years, but she specializes in costume jewelry.  She told me she makes about $80k a year buying at yard sales and thrift shops and selling.

You could sell your bag on Poshmark or e-bay, Facebook Marketplace or similiar and donate the money to your favorite charity, or take it to a consignment shop.  

Trusted Contributor

If you have a Housing Works in your area I would donate it to them.  I have given them good handbags in the past and I have seen what they ask for handbags; they seem to know what they are doing.  Goodwill would not be a good choice for a quality item.

Honored Contributor

I donate to NOVA (Network of Victim Assistance). They have a very well run thrift store. They have lots of big ticket items and lots of volunteers. 

When I retired I donated lots of "work clothes". Most of the clothes were designer labels (I worked in a fancy office in Philadelphia). They were thrilled to get the clothing. By my third trip up to the store to donate, they met me as soon as my car pulled in.

Respected Contributor

I have two favorite thrift store charities in the town where we vacation. The first is the hospital thrift shop which I believe could get the best price for your handbag since it only carries clothing, shoes, and accessories. The ladies who work there are volunteers who know their stuff. The other is the shop associated with the animal shelter. It seems to be more focused on furniture and home goods, probably because of the tradition in the town of not getting into each other's area of specialty.

In my hometown, I prefer the Lighthouse for the Blind. The cause they help seems underserved in our community. It has a very large clothing, shoe, and accessory area. They seem to have a lot of traffic, and it could fetch top dollar there. They also accept furniture but it is a huge place.

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

What's the best place to donate a lightly used handbag that will get the best price for the agency who sells it?  I have a Patricia Nash bag I carried for a few months, but it's just not working for me, it's just too "little", even though the measturements online implied it ought to have been fine.  The tooling on the front of the bag is beautiful, but when I have to worry about stuff falling out if the bag tips over in the car, it just isn't worth carrying.  I'd like to donate it somewhere that it will bring a good price for the shop that sells it, if at all possible.  I'm guessing Goodwill isn't going to benefit as much as some other charities might, for instance, but I don't know, so I'm asking you knowledgable handbag collectors for advice.  Thanks in advance!

just donate to the place closest to you that will take it.

Honored Contributor

I give everything to our church or a Salvation Army truck picks it up.  I have evidence of the good both do, and I like that.  A lot of people are in need now.

As long as I don't need the money I do not do resale now. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have several thriftshops near me that I donate to. Like @Bookplate, my impression is that Housing Works can differentiate between good stuff and not so good, and display the goods to its best advantage.  As to how much they get, that will be out of your control unless you choose to sell yourself, as someone suggested.