Honored Contributor

Whatever happened to B Makowski?

I rarely watch QVC anymore, but I caught a Dooney show recently and it got me wondering whatever happened to B Makowski?  When I first started watching QVC he was all the rage - and his wife had her own line of bags, if I recall correctly.  I never owned either of them, but his bags looked beautiful. Does anyone know why QVC no longer carries them?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Whatever happened to B Makowski?

My guess $$$$$$$

Respected Contributor

I believe he's in real estate somehow now.  I know he sold a multi-million dollar home a couple of years ago that was featured on some show I saw. 

Honored Contributor

Anything I say is a guess, but I didn't see any of Bruce's bags at my local Florida Nordstrom this past winter -  and maybe not even the season before.

Could have been price, but not too many dollars, too few!  So many of the bags I bypassed there this winter had price tags at $500 and above.  Between my age and my casual life style, I see no reason any longer to buy more "investment" bags.

Anyway -  isn't there generally a pullback in handbags in all of retail?  Bruce and MKors can't be alone in having issues.

Honored Contributor

bruce makowsky and kvz (and their other line tignanello) have not been in the handbag business for quite a while now. they sold their companies to li and fung back in 2008 for 330 million dollars. they were then serving as co-presidents.....not sure if they are still serving in that capacity or not.

they have invested their money in real estate spec houses and have made some good money at that. makowsky is the founder of BAM Luxury Development, a property development company that focuses on a 10-mile radius centered around the Westside of Los Angeles.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I rarely watch QVC anymore, but I caught a Dooney show recently and it got me wondering whatever happened to B Makowski?  When I first started watching QVC he was all the rage - and his wife had her own line of bags, if I recall correctly.  I never owned either of them, but his bags looked beautiful. Does anyone know why QVC no longer carries them?

He has developed a $250 million dollar home in LA.  If you google him or 250 million home you'll see the house.  Its huge, over the top and while not really my cup of tea, I am sure it would make some billionaire happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

He's off squeezing his bags somewhere.

Honored Contributor

He got out when the market was high.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

yes, it seems he is a VERY SMART businessman.

i absolutely love those modern homes he is doing.....if only i had the money! Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

yes, it seems he is a VERY SMART businessman.

i absolutely love those modern homes he is doing.....if only i had the money! Smiley Wink

@sunshine45  I'm not sure how smart he is.  He built this $250M home that looks like a cross between a hotel and an office building.  So far, no buyers.  I read an article that said in the whole world there are only a handful of people who could afford to buy it and maintain it, most of whom don't even live in the US.  He may be stuck paying taxes on a huge white elephant. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment