Super Contributor

Re: What kind of straps do you like?

The strap that I like is One Strap.  I hate it when they give you 2 or 3 choices, a long strap; 2 short straps; take part of the long strap off and turn it into a shoulder strap.  I say No.  I want One strap.  Its like the handbag designers trying to appeal to too many ladies.

Respected Contributor

I only carry crossbody bags with a very few rare exceptions. They're just so convenient.

I live in a second floor apartment and when I'm at work, my parking space is over a quarter mile away from my desk. The post office leaves all my packages at the front office instead of my front door. When I leave my office, I have to carry a rolling bag with my computer, computer accessories, and anything else to my car and it's easier if I don't have to worry about a bag slipping off my shoulder while I walk.

When I'm home, I have the computer bag, maybe packages, maybe groceries that I have to get up those stairs and it's SO much easier when I have a crossbody bag.

I do have a few shoulder bags, but those are mostly totes that I use at events. Some of my Dooney totes I've attached crossbody straps to, borrowed from other Dooney bags. I have one shoulder bag I used for a wedding, but even my 'formal' bags have a crossbody strap so that I don't have to leave anything unattended anywhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland I used to have to ride a shuttle bus to work from the parking lot.Rarely ever got a seat - the much more aggressive people would already have them filled.So I understand what you mean about having to tote stuff a long way, though I didn't have as much as you.Then, of course, whatever I had to bring in with me had to go up 2 sets of stairs from the garage.Thus, for work, always a cross body bag. And always an old bag because we had to toss our purses into a locked drawer, everyone's together, and people would throw bags in there with pens & sharpies sticking out, scissors etc.So I never took a good purse to work.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of crossbody at all. I prefer one fairly substantial strap at least 10 inches or adjustable.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I prefer a two handle satchel.  I don't really care if it has a shoulder strap or not as long as I can remove it or shorten it to a size where it's not hanging two feet lower than the bag.

In the summer I like totes.  

I seldom carry a single strap shoulder bag or a cross-body bag.

Honored Contributor

All my life I have worn a Queen Elizabeth arm candy purse.  Not going to hang a purse on my body.  I'm prissy and I know it  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1  And apparently you have the vision of a hawk. Woman Surprised

Frequent Contributor

Count me in the prissy club as well. I love me some arm candy in the form of a bag!!!! Although I do also like the occasional shoulder bag and tote. Don't do cross body (although I own them, gifts from my Mother who loves them..... I just shorten the strap and use as a shoulder bag!)

Trusted Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

I always carry over my shoulder to keep my hands free and prefer bags with adjustable crossbody straps. Absolutlely loathe the bags that come with short straps and "removable" crossbody straps. Too much extra weight. 

and those are the only kind I like nowSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I worked & carried a large shoulder bag I needed one wide strap. I hated skinny straps, 2, straps, or handles on large heavy bags. I also carried a briefcase, lunch bag, and sometimes a tote or two so a proper shoulder strap was essential (and not always easy to find). 

Now that I am retired I have donated or sold every bag except my cross body bags. Since they are small and light a single adjustable skinny strap is fine. It is very freeing to carry a lighter bag with less stuff. It also helps my shoulders which were really tired and sore from carrying all those heavy purses and bags.