Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your very favorite that you have ever owned...

Mine was a large Gucci satchel that I bought in the 80s. I got used to a shoulder strap and the Gucci didn't have one so I didn't carry it much, although I loved it. I finally sold it on eBay about 8 years ago and have regretted it ever since. What was I thinking!!

Honored Contributor

@retiredgal69 wrote:

Probably the favorite bag or bags I have loved the most have been a Stone Mountain shoulder bag in supple leather (before they cheapened the leather they make now for their bags) and a bag I still own that I bought in the 1990s - an Italian brand named Polini. I still have that Polini and sometimes use it but it is way too big for me now. However, I have it sitting on the shelf in the closet and I still admire the leather and the design of this vintage bag. 

@retiredgal69  I had a really nice leather Stone Mountain bag back in the 1990s that I bought in Atlanta when I was there for a workshop (Emory University).  Do not recall what store I purchased it but it was a workhorse.  It was a dark leather, probably an oxblood sort of color and it wore like iron and was very organizable.  

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Mine was a large Gucci satchel that I bought in the 80s. I got used to a shoulder strap and the Gucci didn't have one so I didn't carry it much, although I loved it. I finally sold it on eBay about 8 years ago and have regretted it ever since. What was I thinking!!

@jannabelle1  I sold a platinum colored lizard alligator frame bag which had matching shoes and because the shoes got dirty looking, I sold the handbag.  Kick, kick, kick myself.....I know what you mean.

Respected Contributor

Around 1990, I bought a handbag at Marshall Field's. It was a dark green suede with a hand-tooled brown leather flap over it and a tooled brown leather shoulder strap. The tooling was of oak leaves and acorns. I adored that bag so much that I didn't want to use it often and make it look worn. But after I had shoulder surgery about 10 years ago, I gave it away. There are days that I wish I still had it.

Honored Contributor

A Stone Mountain hobo bag.  Loved that thing and carried it until it fell apart.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

In the late 1980s, not too long after I moved to NYC, I bought a Stone Mountain purse made from the most supple, soft, yet tough, leather I've ever felt.  It was black, with a long strap that I wore crossbody (although I don't remember that being the phrase then) and that was closed by a flap that was as large as the body of the bag.  Had cute, slightly funky hardware, too.  IIRC, I paid $160 for the bag at Macy's and it was WAY more than I could afford at the time.  Way more. Way, way more.  Carried it for years; moved on; returned to it a couple of times before retiring it maybe 10ish years ago.

The last time I dug it out, it looks as great as ever but the lining is ripped to shreds (could be repaired) and the strap which I loved is just too long for me now (this would have to be professionally shortened). I think I kept it, but don't really plan on using it again.  

Valued Contributor

It's a tie,Coach and Marc Jacobs.

Honored Contributor

Black, quilted Chanel bag with the gold and leather chain.  It was quite pricey but the leather was like no other.  Softer than soft.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Black, quilted Chanel bag with the gold and leather chain.  It was quite pricey but the leather was like no other.  Softer than soft.

@Katcat1  Hope you did not do like I did and send it to Goodwill.  ;-(

Trusted Contributor

I have owned probably 10 to 15 name brands, and one of my Coach bags and one of my Brahmin bags are my favorite.  I cannot recall their names right now, but I will look them up and post back shortly.

Merry Christmas to all   !