Honored Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on the ruined $30000 handbag?

@maximillian wrote:

@handygal2 

I agree with your estimate.  Sadly, $30,000 buys a rather low-end new car these days!  I'm not saying they aren't good cars, but luxury cars (to match a luxury handbag...see where I'm going with this) are  in line with handygal's figures.

I get your drift, but not sure of the 'low end' assessment. I still think 30K can net one a solid mid-range car. To be sure, no one is going to be driving anything near the top of the line for that price and if this couple can spend that for a handbag then yes, agreed, they aren't going to be driving anything modestly priced.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

My feeling is that if you know you are going out to dinner, you should not take a $30,000 handbag with you.

I have had gravy stains on my bags, people bump into you with drinks, water stains, etc.

It is a shame it happened, but wear the bag at your own risk.  Anything can happen in a restaurant!  Once while dining, someone bumped into the waitress and as a consequnce, she spilled a drink over my friend's dress.  Accidents happen.  The woman should have her bag insured!

@stellabystarlight 

People who carry $30,000 bags don't eat gravy.  LOL

Super Contributor

The cost of the bag is not the issue.  The country club is liable and at fault.  I'm sure there are those who would judge someone who carries a $300 bag to dinner as being reckless and should assume the cost of any damages.  Also, who would think that a country club would be an inappropriate setting for a $30K bag?  Should she have waited for an invitation to Buckingham Palace before using the "good stuff"?

Even if she does have it insured, why should her rates go up.  Have the country club pay.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I find it absurd that anyone would want to own a handbag that needs to be insured. I don’t have any sympathy for the “victim.”

@handygal2 

You're too easily dismissing this.  Back in the day, alligator handbags (and boots, etc)  were highly coveted accessories.   I once saw a fabulous alligator bag selling for $45,000!   It's not my taste, but if she inherited it from a wealthy aunt or grandmother, or was given it as a gift, why not carry it, at least occasionally?   Why leave it in a closet?

The waiter's actions sound delibrate, and if the handbag was accurately valued at $30k, well, I'm pretty sure the country club is obligated to cover it.  Blaming the "victim" is missing the whole point.

@Tinkrbl44 

Yes, you are right about the alligator bags.  I had one back in the 1960s that was platinum alligator and I do not know the cost.  It was a gift, but it was "priceless" to me, because I could not afford it.

Honored Contributor

@Indra wrote:

The cost of the bag is not the issue.  The country club is liable and at fault.  I'm sure there are those who would judge someone who carries a $300 bag to dinner as being reckless and should assume the cost of any damages.  Also, who would think that a country club would be an inappropriate setting for a $30K bag?  Should she have waited for an invitation to Buckingham Palace before using the "good stuff"?

Even if she does have it insured, why should her rates go up.  Have the country club pay.

@Indra 

My guess is that those who are judging this lady for carrying a $30,000 handbag sit in awe of some of their favorite daytime TV ladies who carry $100,000 handbags.  Not going to name any names and I will not spew the names of any first ladies who do either, but I know of 3 who carry those 6-figure handbags.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Okay, I have a bunch of handbags..love them...some of them are like works of art.  However, please help me understand what you are explaining.  $100,000 for a handbag?  What exactly is a handbag like that made of?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maximillian wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Okay, I have a bunch of handbags..love them...some of them are like works of art.  However, please help me understand what you are explaining.  $100,000 for a handbag?  What exactly is a handbag like that made of?

@maximillian 

Hermes handbags.  I think it was the Birkin that brought more than $100,000.  Remember the kerfuffle whereby Oprah had gone into a store in Europe near closing time and she wanted to see a handbag under glass and the clerk told her she had to have an appointment and she accused the store of racism.

Oprah was naive to the fact that regardless of who you are, you must have an appointment and be preapproved ahead of time in order to see those handbags.  You cannot just walk into a store and demand to see them and handle them.  You must have approval beforehand.  I knew a lady who was approved, who saw the handbag and had the cash money to pay for it and they did not approve her to have one.  However, you can buy them on poshmark or places like that for 10% of the original price.

Kylie "Kardashian" Jenner has several Hermes bags, not sure if she has that particular Birkin but she has a closet full of Hermes.  She probably has millions of dollar's of handbags and I see her going to basketball games and setting them on the floor like they came from Wal-Mart.  I think the K's have so much they appreciate nothing. (My guess is Kylie's are given to her).

Right now, there is a more expensive bag at the Row, Hermes white matte Niloticus Himalaya crocodile Birkin 25 cm, $140,000.00.  

Handbags that sell for 5 to 6 digits would not be considered either ornamental or "works of art."  They are superior quality for the very elitists who will, no doubt, sell some of them.  There is a lady in Texas who has several for more than $100,000.  She has a closet larger than my bedroom that boasts handbags floor to ceiling, worth millions of dollars.  

Check youtube Theresa Roemer (93) Million Dollar Purse Collection 

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Thank you.  I had no knowledge of any of that info.  Still love my D & B, Radley London, Patricia Nash...  and I can afford them!  There is no Hermes in my future.

Super Contributor

In the story I read, the CC did try to settle with her. The two parties couldn't come to an agreement on value. That's why she is now suing everyone. So it's not that the CC didn't try to settle this...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren