Trusted Contributor

Re: What are your thoughts on the ruined $30000 handbag?

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  I remember that Sex and the City episode with Carrie's Manolo's I think they were, lol!

I'd carry the bag basically anywhere as long it's in a

safe neighborhood.

The person behind you at the local grocery store

can be sporting a150,000 Cartier diamond wearing shorts and flip flops.

Most people wouldn't even know what it was or give it a second look IMO.  That goes for bags, jewelry,

etc. 

Honored Contributor

My granddaughter was robbed at gun point 6 years ago.  She had come from her job in posh restaurant, she was walking to car when happened.  10 at night.  They stole her purse with 300 plus in tips.  It was reported, police came out, started investigation.  In deposition she told police everything in handbag she could remember.  Long story short, they had a lead, as within hour they used credit card, first mcdonalds for 7 bucks, then starbucks for 25. Four months later detective called grand in.  They had got lead with first credit card use, a video. When they tried to use it third time and it was declined, reported as stolen. Video showed them dumping granddaughters purse in garbage can and fleeing off. They found the trio.  Two men, one woman.  The woman was brought in, and when she took out ID, she had my granddaughters wallet.  A Kate Spade,,  wallet taken had my grands fingerprints.  Woman confessed, turned on others.  She was caught because all though they threw everything out, handbag, phone, etc...the woman could not let the kate spade wallet go. Lol. What she didnt know was the handbag was a an expensive Tory Burch tote I had gotten for her graduation. She could have sold it for a few bucks, but they dint know.   Lol. She had to have the wallet with kate spade written with huge letters on front. 

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

This story has been online this week and I was wondering the opinion of others.

A woman in NJ is suing a country club for damages to her handbag.

"Whoever the waiter was proceeded to pour red wine and didn't stop," Alexandra Errico, Beyder's attorney, told NorthJersey.com "Poured it all over her. Poured it all over her husband. And poured it all over a very expensive Hermès bag."

It was a Hermes bag worth $30,000 that she received for her birthday. 

Regardless of the price of the bag or any other personal belongings.  I feel the establish should have insurance to cover damages.

Honestly, if I owned a bag or anything worth $30000 I would have it insured.

What do you think?

Oh give me a minute and let me dry my eyes  

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl.. yes, I’ve been reading it in our local papers..😂. The Country Club is approx 20 min away from me in Alpine, NJ. It’s a very affluent, well-to-do town where Sports athletes live, movie stars, + Wall Streeters live.. It’s not that unusual someone would bring that type of bag to the CC. These are the type of people that live in the town and belong to the CC. It will be interesting to see what happens!
Respected Contributor

only stupid thing here was paying 30 grand for a handbag.  Dumber thing was giving it as a gift for someone.    Won't be appreciated that's for sure.  

Honored Contributor

I would never pay that much for a purse. That being said there was a time that a friend spilled their drink while we were socializing. The very first thing I grabbed was my Kate Spade purse and got it up and out of the way. As long as I saved my KS I'm good. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I find it absurd that anyone would want to own a handbag that needs to be insured. I don’t have any sympathy for the “victim.”

@handygal2 

You're too easily dismissing this.  Back in the day, alligator handbags (and boots, etc)  were highly coveted accessories.   I once saw a fabulous alligator bag selling for $45,000!   It's not my taste, but if she inherited it from a wealthy aunt or grandmother, or was given it as a gift, why not carry it, at least occasionally?   Why leave it in a closet?

The waiter's actions sound delibrate, and if the handbag was accurately valued at $30k, well, I'm pretty sure the country club is obligated to cover it.  Blaming the "victim" is missing the whole point.

@Tinkrbl44 : I didn’t explain my thoughts clearly.

I wasn’t blaming her, and she should be reimbursed if the country club was at fault.

But l just can’t identify with a woman who carries a $30,000 handbag. She’s not a sympathetic figure to me. It’s a matter of different priorities.

@handygal2 

Different priorities?    If the woman paid zero for it ... such as inherited it or received it as a gift .... how does that affect how she prioritizes her life?    

Put another way .....  what if a valet took your new $30k car for a spin and totalled it ....  you'd expect reimbursement, wouldn't you?   It has nothing to do with "priorities" in life.

Honored Contributor

There's probably LOTS more to the story not being reported.

This happened September 2018 & the country club AND insurance

have both dismissed it. 

My guess...she didn't have it insured.

They probably offered a lesser amount of $10-12,000 but she

wanted $30,000...so she gets nothing at the end.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

u@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I find it absurd that anyone would want to own a handbag that needs to be insured. I don’t have any sympathy for the “victim.”

@handygal2 

You're too easily dismissing this.  Back in the day, alligator handbags (and boots, etc)  were highly coveted accessories.   I once saw a fabulous alligator bag selling for $45,000!   It's not my taste, but if she inherited it from a wealthy aunt or grandmother, or was given it as a gift, why not carry it, at least occasionally?   Why leave it in a closet?

The waiter's actions sound delibrate, and if the handbag was accurately valued at $30k, well, I'm pretty sure the country club is obligated to cover it.  Blaming the "victim" is missing the whole point.

@Tinkrbl44 : I didn’t explain my thoughts clearly.

I wasn’t blaming her, and she should be reimbursed if the country club was at fault.

But l just can’t identify with a woman who carries a $30,000 handbag. She’s not a sympathetic figure to me. It’s a matter of different priorities.

@handygal2 

Different priorities?    If the woman paid zero for it ... such as inherited it or received it as a gift .... how does that affect how she prioritizes her life?    

Put another way .....  what if a valet took your new $30k car for a spin and totalled it ....  you'd expect reimbursement, wouldn't you?   It has nothing to do with "priorities" in life.

@Tinkrbl44 : The woman paid zero for it b/c it was a gift from her husband. So HE paid $30,000 for it. I would rather receive a $30,000 car from my husband, and he knows it. Those are MY priorities!

ETA: I’ve already stated in my previous post that she should be reimbursed for the bag.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

In reading an article, it said the insurance company and the country club couldn't comprehend the bag costing that much.

This seems odd to me.  If the husband doesn't have the receipt, then couldn't they go to Hermes and get an appraisal or the list price if it was purchased new?

This data point seems very easy to resolve.  So I can't believe this is the only reason the insurance company and the country club are not settling this.

Also, these new articles I read, one said September 2017 and one said September 2018.  They also say "her insurance company," which would mean they were claiming it on their homeowners policy if it wasn't specifically insured with a rider.

Very odd story.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN