Honored Contributor

Re: What Is Your Favorite Handbag Shape?

I have to factor in my size as to what looks best on me. I'm just under 5'4" and very slim in stature. I am easily overwhelmed by the wrong style for me.

I prefer north/south or the same height and width. It gives me much needed height, whereas east/west cuts me in half.

I can't do too much depth or structure. I prefer soft leather.

I use only shoulder bags (but like clutches for less casual occasions), and they have to have at least a 10-inch drop or I'd be constantly struggling with them. I prefer a single strap.

Othe than that, I'm easy to please. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

My favorite is a leather hobo that I can wear over my shoulder.

Honored Contributor

This is a difficult question! Woman Surprised I like four styles and change from one to another. If I had to list them in order of preference starting with the most favorite, it would be satchel, tote, hobo and then crossbody.

Frequent Contributor

My favorite is a small crossbody. I am done with large shoulder bags. I really don't carry that much with me, just the essentials....phone, credit card holder,  keys (hold have house and remote for car), work pass, lipstick, cash....that's it. I really don't need the kitchen sink any more. 

My latest buy is the Radley London Pocket Leather Medium Crossbody Handbag. I love it, it is so sleek and classy looking. Better yet I bought it as and "as is" purchase and saved a ton...and it arrived perfect. 

Respected Contributor

Crossbody and always east west. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite bags are Clever Carriage. I like satchels and east west bags best

I do have a carpet bag I am very fond of ,by them

Super Contributor

I like a tote shape in a shoulder bag, as long as it's not too large or heavy for my 5'2" frame. The one essential is that it must have at least one outside pocket.  I recently discovered Patricia Nash handbags and purchased her Carducci large pocket tote.  It's perfect for me!

Honored Contributor

I prefer a leather, structured hobo. The double straps on a tote or other style bag, one strap always falls down my shoulder looking sloppy.

I also look for a North/South shape. The ones that are east/west make me appear shorter and wider.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I prefer a leather, structured hobo. The double straps on a tote or other style bag, one strap always falls down my shoulder looking sloppy.

I also look for a North/South shape. The ones that are east/west make me appear shorter and wider.

@ShanusI'll see something I like ocassionaly and it's too long for me and would be out of proportion.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@ShanusI'll see something I like ocassionaly and it's too long for me and would be out of proportion.

@ECBG  ITA. I’m petite, but like to carry a lot of “stuff”. A square bag (not too large) tends to hold wallet, 2pr. glasses, etc. more evenly...standing up... than a rectangle where everything lies down on its side on top of each other. My biggest problem is a crossbody body bag. They all have to go to a shoemaker to have at least 18” removed from the strap to have the proper proportions.