Honored Contributor

I saw this purse on the handbags clearance and thought it looked very nice and was a bargain for a good leather purse at $198. EXCEPT - it isn't leather. It is trimmed in leather but the purse is PVC.Who has the nerve to ask $198 for a PVC purse !!! Appaling QVC. I'm not even a leather purse snob - I have nothing against carrying a PVC bag , but I darn sure am not going to pay that much for what is a $50 at most value.

Trusted Contributor
You're referring to the Dooney &Bourke satchel?

Who has the nerve to ask that price? The bag is coated cotton, it's a Dooney staple and the answer is Dooney and everyone who sells the line.

Whether you're a Dooney fan or not, they make high quality bags.

Just like jewelry items are not priced only by the metal used, it's also true of handbags and shoes.

Design elements, quality of workmanship, supply and demand, and, yes, sometimes, name identification, all impact price.

As for coated cotton, can we say Louis Vuitton?

Like every other retailer, QVC will charge, what they feel the market supports. If they're wrong, they'll either adjust prices, or lose a whole lot of sales to the competition, who does a better job of reading the market!

You might find this bag cheaper elsewhere, I don't know. But, in my experience, best of luck in finding a Dooney for anywhere near $50.00,
Honored Contributor

I don't know why you're mad at QVC about this. That's less than the original MSRP, which is set by Dooney, not QVC. Dooney bags sell for the same price at QVC as they do at any department store who carries them unless they are on sale. Zappos has the same bag for $228 (original price) and Dillard's has it the black for $198 and some seasonal clearance colors for $138. Dooney is selling it for $198 with some colors marked down to $148.

I have a Dooney coated cotton bag and I love it. I used it nearly every single day for over a year (because I hate changing purses and loved carrying a small bag) and it's still in fantastic shape. It's not leather, but it's beautiful quality bag and that's exactly what I paid for.

Honored Contributor

If you don't mind paying that price for vinyl then have at it and enjoy yourself. I have more respect than that for where my $$$ go.

Super Contributor
I'd have more respect in putting my money toward a high quality bag than to waste $50 on a cheap vinyl bag
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

All you are getting is a vinyl bag. I have never heard of a high quality vinyl bag.

Honored Contributor

It's coated fabric, not vinyl and if you want to become really indignant, look at what Vuitton, Burberry and others are charging for coated fabric bags...  Hey, it is what it is...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's coated fabric, not vinyl and if you want to become really indignant, look at what Vuitton, Burberry and others are charging for coated fabric bags...  Hey, it is what it is...

Smiley Wink

Per the QVC description it is 82% PVC, and 18% cotton and polyester.  Call it whatever you wish.