Trusted Contributor

Re: Whar are absolute deal breakers for a handbag?

Any bag that is like the big black hole on the interior. For the life of me , I can not understand why manufactures/designers do this. They know most women prefer a lighter color lining so we can see things readily in the bag yet a lot of companies continue to design the big black hole.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1wrote:

Any bag that is like the big black hole on the interior. For the life of me , I can not understand why manufactures/designers do this. They know most women prefer a lighter color lining so we can see things readily in the bag yet a lot of companies continue to design the big black hole.

@webbgarner1.  The big black hole or any color for that matter is what stopped my purchasing of unstructured bags. Mine must have structure and a few pockets. Love the hot pink lining of one of my Kate Spade bags.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  that sounds really pretty

Honored Contributor

I like bagallini for their plentiful storage pockets,light weight,quality fabrics and nice styles.They are really light weight but sturdy.I have been carrying one since July and taking it to the gym daily and still not a sign of the abuse it has received.

Super Contributor

Absolute deal breakers for me:

too heavy

not enough organization

too big

too much junk hanging on the bags, i.e. tassels, chains, etc.

dark lining

that fuzzy velvet like lining

hate cross bodies with thin straps

slouchy bags

bags not standig up

soft shapeless bags

I like clean lines, pockets for everything, outside zipper compartment, elegant look.

Super Contributor

My absolute favorite is a Travelon.  I found it at Marshall's.  It has 3 zipper pockets on one side and another zipper pocket on the other (outside) more organization on the inside of the bag.  It also is a more structured bag that holds it's shape.  Love the little flashlight it comes with.  The absolute best in organization.  I bought three more on Amazon, different colors.  Glad I did because you can't find that style anymore. 

Valued Contributor

It Must have an outside pocket for my iPhone!!!

Valued Contributor

I used to really love handbags, but the past few years, it seems that the designs have fallen into a rut. As a result, I have not purchased any bags for quite some time.  My usual go-to designer for bags is ORYANY, but there have been far fewer of these being made, lately, it seems.

My strong preference in bags is for leather, medium-to-large size, slouchy, (Hobo is my favorite shape,) shoulder AND cross body strap options, and exterior pockets.  I do not like anything too structured.  Dooney bags are the antithesis of any handbags I might prefer, although I can see why ladies love them because they are so well made. 

Lately, most bags are either too structured, too small, or lacking exterior pockets, (like the GILI brand.) I will never understand how anyone can function without at least one outside pocket for a cell phone, work ID badge, altoids, lip balm. Such people must be much better organized than I am, lol.

I also love a beautiful color, like a rose, or lilac or pale pink for spring, and maybe wine or grey for winter. I'm not much of a fan of black handbags unless there is some extra texture or bling or embellishment or something to set it apart.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bag must be between 9 and 13 inches wide and no short shoulder straps that land in my armpit.  A top zipper is prefered for security and zipper must open fully for easy access.  An outside pocket for my phone is also a must.  If the bag is leather then the strap should not be faux leather.

Respected Contributor

Cheap, brassy hardware, plastic zippers, and rough, poor leather!