Valued Contributor

Re: Whar are absolute deal breakers for a handbag?

Soft leather not a fan of structure stiff handbsgs. Outside pockets,wide shoulder straps,no gold tone hardware. 

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Suewrote:

Dealbreakers—

fold over flap, too inconvenient

zipper pocket divider drives me crazy!

heavy when empty

cross body strap that is not removable

does not open wide enough

no outside pockets

outside pockets which stick out for water bottle

not for a handbag, more for a backpack type thing

Trusted Contributor

Deal Breakers for me:  

Plastic

Center zip compartment

Dark lining

if it won't stand up on its own

too small for full size wallet and kindle

north-south orientation (too deep)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a timely topic for me.  The #1 deal-breaker, and most recent, is if it's not 100% leather.  Tignanello uses faux leather trim, which doesn't last.  The Tig tote I have looks almost new in the body after a couple of years, but the straps are fraying and cracking.  I finally decided this month that I must replace it.  It is too depressing to even look at it.  I was proud that I'd never spent more than $100 on a handbag (some I got on sale, though), but there is a difference between price and value.  If you have to replace a bag often, it's more expensive in the long run.  I am so annoyed about those worn-out straps!

It takes me a lot of effort to find the right handbag.  It has to have that special something that makes me love it and I must feel comfortable wearing it.  I'm not a high-fashion lady and so wouldn't wear some bags that I find beautiful.  It has to fit my wardrobe, which is casual. 

Like the OP, I prefer an east-to-west bag and don't usually like a lot of prominent hardware.  I'm so glad HSN had Patricia Nash on yesterday.  Ms. Nash is liberating me from the Tignanello tote with the crumbling straps.  I got the indigo Gracci (my fun bag) and the black Segovia tote (my classic black, go-everywhere bag).  She makes such gorgeous bags in brown, but I don't wear brown/fall colors because they don't suit my coloring, so they wouldn't go with most of what I have.  My sister looks great in those colors.  I'm going to call her today and tell her about PN's bags at HSN.

I could write a sonnet

About my P. Nash handbag

It'll be the grandest pocketbook

In the Easter parade. . .

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoonwrote:

I only have one absolute: I don't like bags with a flap opening.

My preferences are: Satchel, east-west orientation, zip top.

However, I make allowances if I really like the look of something.  Often I compromise on the zip top.  Mag snap is ok if I feel the bag is secure.

I totally agree with you, I have bought some with a flap over opening thinking, Oh, I will deal with it because I loved the color or something....last maybe 1 hour...back it goes...they are such a pain in the store when you are trying to get into them and the flap won't stay up.. so you have to hold it up...can't stand the flap kind.......I also like the east/west only....and need an outside pocket for my sunglasses....don't care about phone...I never ever use it except for an emergency.....no one calles me on it ever....(unless at the Airport and call son to come and pick me up)   LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SFGIANTSGIRLwrote:

I have a favorite brand and don't tend to venture from that brand.  I also need to have the matching accessories (OCD)...LOL

Deb

HI,  I have so many Vera Bradley that I spent way too much money on the matching wallets and cosmetic bag and more...trouble is I get tired of them way too soon...so  friends and family are very happy to have an almost new bag with matching "stuff"  I am not doing that

anymore.....

I found a nice light silver/grey wallet I love, not too big and I am going to "try?"  to use it with all my future bags..LOL!!!!!  For some reason, I never buy any brown bags...so that's good.

Except a have a very nice Dooney suede crossbody, in the caramel-ish color....but I have a nice leather wallet to match that one....

Waiting now for 2 new Lug bags, crossbody for a trip...it does have the water bottle pocket on the side, but I drink water "constantly"  and when sight seeing it is better than

carring the water bottle....

Esteemed Contributor

I need a zipper....no magnetic closures for me

Trusted Contributor

Wide opening on top.  I hate bags that look like trapeziods.  Wide bottoms and narrow openings.  You can't get into the bag and everything falls to the bottom where you cant see it or feel it.  Grrrr...

Valued Contributor

@chicletwrote:

No matter what the style it has to have an outside slip pocket for phone.  I cannot hear it inside my bag.   It has to be east west.  I cannot stand to have stuff stacked on top of each other in a north south bag. 

I agree 100%. 

Honored Contributor

@chicletwrote:

No matter what the style it has to have an outside slip pocket for phone.  I cannot hear it inside my bag.   It has to be east west.  I cannot stand to have stuff stacked on top of each other in a north south bag. 

@chiclet . Same here...and it has to have a good crossbody convertable shoulder strap.