Honored Contributor

Re: Watching handbag clearance-whoa....

Though I am personally not a Dooney fan, I can understand buying an expensive handbag to use exclusively over a long period of time. You do recoup the cost. However, from what I read here, there are many who own many expensive bags - some say they have 40 - 50 of them. Handbag styles change just as clothing styles do and pretty soon those bags will be out of style and you won't want to use them anymore. yes, everyone can spend their money however they want - but when people over spend and can't pay their bills, and default, it costs all of us money.

Honored Contributor

Some bags, usually among the more costly, are styled classically enough that trends are not an issue... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Occasional Contributor

I agree with you on that stevieb . Up until my house fire a year ago, I had quite the collection of handbags that I had been using for years. I tend to stick with solid colors as a personal preference.
Frequent Contributor

ME TOO!  I just love great quality, beautiful bags.  Do I need them, NO but that isnt the point. I want them.  I also love carrying a higher end bag, its just my thing.  I have a career and work hard so why  notl.  As someone said you cant take it with you!!!

Honored Contributor

@Chel75 wrote:
I agree with you on that stevieb . Up until my house fire a year ago, I had quite the collection of handbags that I had been using for years. I tend to stick with solid colors as a personal preference.

Sorry to hear about that @Chel75... As for bag choices, I agree. When I'm spending significant money on a bag or buying anything other than a fashion bag, it's rare for me to purchase colors or patterns. I tend to stick with neutrals that are more universally useful, though surely there have been exceptions.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

It's insulting to assume that people who own  designers bags don't have money in their 401k or are in debt.  I love a good designer bag, I get them at great prices, keep them in perfect condition and when I tire of them, often sell them for close to what I paid. Everyone makes choices in what they want to spend some of their extra money on, and I might feel what you spend your money on is silly. As another poster noted, in the business world, you do have to look the part and a cheap handbag looks off when you're dressed for the office in a great suit. 

Frequent Contributor

Hello. I have about 45 Dooney bags and a few others. I am not rich and I personally don't even have a 401 k. What I do have is life. At 45 years old I had a massive heart attack which left heart failure. After that 18 months later I had a 90 percent blockage. Another stent for me. Then two years later I was diagnosed with diabetes. Then in 2012i I was diagnosed with ms. My Mari last month shows new lesions in my brain and neck. I am now 53 and cannot carry my bags on my left side where my pain is 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I spend my money on what makes me happy and Dooney and bourke did  that. I don't care what people say or how much money I have. After three sets of paddles I do what I can,because I'm alive. So for those that want to save your money, great for you. For me living life is something I'm grateful for. Hail to my dooneys!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is directed to the person who is worried about her 401K, etc.  I see your point, but you have to get some joy out of life.  Having some nice things is one way to do that.  Don't be such a buzzkill!

Esteemed Contributor

My handbags aren't super expensive or super cheap either. They are somewhere in the middle. I don't carry faux leather too often because they don't last as I'm hard on the handles.

I do enjoy carrying a nice leather handbag and it's something that I enjoy looking at too. I keep my eye on prices though and wait for a great sale.