Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TINY HANDLES?

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

I carry a satchel about 95% of the time, but I have removed all the dangling shoulder straps from my bags.  There was a time I liked the look of the hanging strap, but these days I'm sick of it catching on everything. 

@faeriemoon

That would definitely be annoying ....

Respected Contributor

I remember in the late 80s to early 90s when those dangling straps were in fashion on satchels, police suggested that you wrap the strap around the bag and carry it like a football under your arm. I knew only one person that did that. Me, I resorted to wearing bags cross body, on the shoulder, or removing the strap.

Honored Contributor

I have only shoulder bags with a strap drop of at least 10 inches. No satchels, totes, or crossbodys.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I carry a satchel about 95% of the time, but I have removed all the dangling shoulder straps from my bags.  There was a time I liked the look of the hanging strap, but these days I'm sick of it catching on everything. 

@faeriemoon

I won’t carry a satchel; it is a dealbreaker for me. There are bags I like that have both the short handle and shoulder length straps but the short handle is never removable so I don’t buy. Extra, unused straps look awful hanging there. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon

That would definitely be annoyibng ....

I can't tell you how many times I've caught the hanging strap on one of these and nearly got pulled down.

Image result for standpipe

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon

That would definitely be annoyibng ....

I can't tell you how many times I've caught the hanging strap on one of these and nearly got pulled down.

Image result for standpipe

@JillyMarie

You have to watch out for those sneaky fire hydrants!  LOL     Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Those things are out to get me.  Many years ago I went out at lunch to get some exercise and fresh air.  I slipped on wet pavement and fell into a standpipe sticking out of the wall of a building.  Cracked a few ribs.  Ouchy. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon

I won’t carry a satchel; it is a dealbreaker for me. There are bags I like that have both the short handle and shoulder length straps but the short handle is never removable so I don’t buy. Extra, unused straps look awful hanging there. 

@willdob3

I think so, too.  Is that why you won't buy a satchel?   Mine has one set of straps, with about a 10 inch drop, and it is the best choice for me.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

@faeriemoon

@willdob3

I think so, too.  Is that why you won't buy a satchel?   Mine has one set of straps, with about a 10 inch drop, and it is the best choice for me.

@Tinkrbl44

Yes! That is the main reason. Why aren’t all straps made so they can be removed? I had one purse, years ago, that had both shoulder strap and short straps and both were removable. I’ve never seen another bag like that.