Honored Contributor

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TINY HANDLES?

[ Edited ]

I've been perusing the handbags lately and have read several descriptions.  I am surprised to see several bags with tiny 4 inch drop handles ,,,,  who wants that?  In many instances, if the woman is wearing a thick sweater or winter coat, there's no way it would go up to her elbow!

What's even worse are those dangling shoulder straps .... often called a "purse snatchers dream".  All they have to do is come running up behind you, grab the danglling strap, push you down hard and start running.  They could be two blocks away before you even got to your feet! **

Give me a 9 or 10 inch drop handle any day ....

**  This was part of a women's self defense class ...  the instructor said to NEVER carry a handbag that had a strap dangling that someone could just reach out and grab.  

Respected Contributor

Re: WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TINY HANDLES?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44:  Sounds like what you're describing is a satchel handbag. There are times when I want to carry my bag in the crook of my arm, that's when I carry a satchel. If I want to wear a bag over a coat (as you mentioned) I reach for the shoulder bag or a crossbody. I'm glad there's a handbag for every want and need.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44.  They showed a Dooney this morning with a 2" drop.  Some of the bags are so small, the average size woman would look silly carrying one.  They look like childrens' bags.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@Tinkrbl44:  Sounds like what you're describing is a satchel handbag. There are times when I want to carry my bag in the crook of my arm, that's when I carry a satchel. If I want to wear a bag over a coat (as you mentioned) I reach for the shoulder bag or a crossbody. I'm glad there's a handbag for every want and need.

@Diva on The Q

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you change bags several times a week.  (Yikes.)  What if your arm was sore, or the "crook pose" wasn't practical, such as carrying several packages?  All you could then do would be to carry it gripped in your hand.   Maybe that somehow works for you, but, as I griped above, a teeny 4 inch handle just doesn't give a gal many options.  JMO

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@Diva on The Q

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like you change bags several times a week.  (Yikes.)  What if your arm was sore, or the "crook pose" wasn't practical, such as carrying several packages?  All you could then do would be to carry it gripped in your hand.   Maybe that somehow works for you, but, as I griped above, a teeny 4 inch handle just doesn't give a gal many options.  JMO

@Tinkrbl44:  I admit, I am  somewhat obsessive about my handbags. I have bags for every occasion. When running errands, grocery shopping, a concert, etc. I carry a crossbody bag. Going to church or special event?  More than likely I'll carry a satchel or a clutch bag. A quick run to the neighborhood corner store? A coin purse will do. It can get exhausting at times! Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I love the bags with small/short handles. Very elegant!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44.  They showed a Dooney this morning with a 2" drop.  Some of the bags are so small, the average size woman would look silly carrying one.  They look like childrens' bags.

Although i personally don't like 2" drops, they are basically just a carry handle, like you have on a briefcase, for those who only like to hand carry their bag.....  Super small bags and tiny handles look like a trend-a-coming to me and I'm not interested at all.. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I actually can wear a bag with a 4 inch handle. I have tiny wrists and small hands. However.....for my lifestyle .atchels are elegant, but not practical. I live in an urban area and I think of them as "mug me purses."  I never feel secure walking down the street with one on my arm or held in the hand. The handles are useful for picking up. Most of my satchels have a strap and I wear it cross body. If I go to a small town, etc., then I would wear a satchel as one normally would. So for me, it's either crossboy bags (or those that can be converted) or backpacks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q

LOL ....  well, there are lots of obsessions much less heakthy!  Woman LOL

I'm just the opposite, .... I buy a high quality leather satchel style bag, in black, with an 8 to 10 inch drop ... and carry it daily for years.   If I was continually switching bags, I'd go nuts.  lol

I always get my money's worth out of my handbags.  Heart 

Honored Contributor

I carry a satchel about 95% of the time, but I have removed all the dangling shoulder straps from my bags.  There was a time I liked the look of the hanging strap, but these days I'm sick of it catching on everything.