Respected Contributor

Re: Vera Bradley... Plastic Handles?????

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Blingqueen023

I hope I didn't offend you with my post.  I own several Dooney & Bourke myself although I rarely use them because of the weight.  I was able to purchase them because of QVC offering easy pay. I only use mine for church when I am not carrying a lot.   I will say that the older ones seem a better quality than my most recent purchase of  The Lexington though.  I do like the shape and size of the Lexington but the zipper is almost impossible to close.  I'm sure it will outlast me. 

My only point was that quality seems to go down for many products as popularity and increased demand goes up. 

@Georgiagrama Hi Retired.  Nope, you didn't offend me at all.  I don't use a lot of my old dooneys anymore also because of the weight.  It's just too heavy to walk around with for long distances, lol  They really haven't shown any wear and tear, and I guess it's because I don't change handbags a lot.  I do, but I don't on a regular scheduled basis.  Have to say I'll know the true test on the latest Dooney I have the Tuscana Satchel.  That bag just rocks.  It's my favorite.  Love that bag the most.  I'll see if it starts wearing and tearing hahahahahaha.  Thanks for your post.  Enjoy your handbags.  I rather have handbags then shoes, lol lol  Have a fabulous weekend.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed the vinyl used on some of Vera's bags, but like other posts I don't buy them. I wish that I had paid closer attention to the changes that were made to the quilting though, and bought a few more of the older ones when they were still offered - quilting on the inside and the handles as well as the outside. At least the Vera website has some great sales and free shipping - even though the newer bags are less substantial, they're still great when you need a lightweight bag with plenty of pockets.

Honored Contributor

Neither Dooney, Coach, or Vera Bradley bags are anything like they used to be.  Sad to see quality USA made products go off the rails for that.  In the end they suffer when they are no longer "dear" as the English say.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I think these vendors think we are dumb and will accept anything.  I refuse to pay $100+ for plastic.  With all these new vendors getting in the mix of cloth luggage, Vera has a run for her money (btw, I know Vera is no longer with us).  Making handbags with plastic is not going to get her to 1st base.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Vera Bradley and several of the other name brand handbag companies depend on the tween/teen and younger adults to purchase their handbags.  The teenagers and younger adults have moved on to other brands.  In addition, Vera Bradley no longer manufactures in the US which is when the issues began with their quality.  They do not use cotton inside all of their bags, which cheapens the brand.  They also have a "made for outlet" line which has a lower quality.   Many of the handbag brands are struggling to keep their cost down and profits up.  Check the stock prices for Vera, Coach, Michael Kors, Kate Spade and other brands.  It is a tough market right now.  Cost cutting is the name of the game with some brands.  

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Blingqueen023

I hope I didn't offend you with my post.  I own several Dooney & Bourke myself although I rarely use them because of the weight.  I was able to purchase them because of QVC offering easy pay. I only use mine for church when I am not carrying a lot.   I will say that the older ones seem a better quality than my most recent purchase of  The Lexington though.  I do like the shape and size of the Lexington but the zipper is almost impossible to close.  I'm sure it will outlast me. 

My only point was that quality seems to go down for many products as popularity and increased demand goes up. 

I have many D & B handbags.  If you're having trouble with the zipper on the handbag, this is what I do and it helps tremendously. 

I tear off a piece of waxed paper (about 4 inches off the roll).  I then take the waxed paper and rub it back and forth over and under the zipper, trying to "coat" the zipper the best I can really well.  

The zipper should work super smooth.  It has never failed me.   

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying VB when they stopped making the insides of the bags with the same quilted fabric as the outside.  These were all completely machine washable!  Great quality.  Now they are downright CHEAP.  Just looked throught the sale table at a Hallmark store and couldn't believe how awful they are now.  Sometimes you can still find the older models in consignment shops.  If they are in real good condition, take them home and cold machine wash and air dry!!