Frequent Contributor

Vera Bradley... Plastic Handles?????

Love the Vera Bradley handbags... have many... but lately they have been featuring bags with plastic handles and straps , yet charging over $100 for them....Not a good buy....

Honored Contributor

Re: Vera Bradley... Plastic Handles?????

@9531 Thanks for posting your rant -  twice!  (You work for a competitor?)

Went to the VB site and found a good deal on something I love.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the bags do have the vinyl trim and handles, but not all of them.

The leather bags have leather handles and trim.

Several cotton and microfiber pieces have the cloth trim as well.

The vinyl is not my preference, I just don't purchase those pieces.

I got some nice leather buys yesterday as well with the 40% additional off already reduced sale items and a birthday bonus coupon!

Enjoy your new pieces @millieshops!

Esteemed Contributor

I like VB but I feel most of these bags are overpriced.   I've bought a few over the years and the small wristlets I love but the snaps never connect securely which is an issue for me and another bag the zipper broke.   Disappointing for the money, quality just isn't there.

Respected Contributor

They lost me when they stopped using the coordinating prints on the inside if the bags.  And many of the bags are no longer washable.  Very sad.  I willingly paid for those features.

Frequent Contributor

You don't have to work for a competitor to see the quality go down on any item.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

They lost me when they stopped using the coordinating prints on the inside if the bags.  And many of the bags are no longer washable.  Very sad.  I willingly paid for those features.

@Shawnie Same here! That "wipe-clean lining" is the worst. Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never posted here before, so forgive me for butting in, but I had to comment.  

I remember when Vera Bradley first came out.  The quality was impeccable and anyone who owned a Vera paid a pretty penny for them and everyone recognized one and made a comment.  When I got my first one I was thrilled, although it took a little getting used to having a bright, colorful print handbag for me, but I loved the quality and the quilted handles.   

Anyway, my point is, it seems that any company that gets big and popular tries to meet the demand for their product.  That's when they go to China, or whever, and the quality goes down and the market is flooded.  There is nothing special about the Vera's now except what you like about them....myself, I like  that they are lightweight and they have plenty of pockets. 

The Dooney and Bourke bags are the same way.  At one time they were a bag that everyone coveted.  They were beautifully crafted leather bags.  Now, you can buy them all day long on QVC and on easy pay. I've read many reviews that say that the bag was falling apart after 6 months.  Anyone can own one, and they are no longer the coveted purchase of a quality handbag, but more of a status purchase of lesser quality.  

The same with the Philosphy scents.  Look what's happened to them. You can't buy a bottle of Pure Grace that actually smells like Pure Grace.  Or Amazing Grace for that matter.  The market is flooded and the company is making money off of a lesser quality product. 

It's sad, but The almighty dollar seems to  win out every time over quality.  

Respected Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

I've never posted here before, so forgive me for butting in, but I had to comment.  

I remember when Vera Bradley first came out.  The quality was impeccable and anyone who owned a Vera paid a pretty penny for them and everyone recognized one and made a comment.  When I got my first one I was thrilled, although it took a little getting used to having a bright, colorful print handbag for me, but I loved the quality and the quilted handles.   

Anyway, my point is, it seems that any company that gets big and popular tries to meet the demand for their product.  That's when they go to China, or whever, and the quality goes down and the market is flooded.  There is nothing special about the Vera's now except what you like about them....myself, I like  that they are lightweight and they have plenty of pockets. 

The Dooney and Bourke bags are the same way.  At one time they were a bag that everyone coveted.  They were beautifully crafted leather bags.  Now, you can buy them all day long on QVC and on easy pay. I've read many reviews that say that the bag was falling apart after 6 months.  Anyone can own one, and they are no longer the coveted purchase of a quality handbag, but more of a status purchase of lesser quality.  

The same with the Philosphy scents.  Look what's happened to them. You can't buy a bottle of Pure Grace that actually smells like Pure Grace.  Or Amazing Grace for that matter.  The market is flooded and the company is making money off of a lesser quality product. 

It's sad, but The almighty dollar seems to  win out every time over quality.  

I have to say I have plenty of dooney bags that were purchased from QVC and from the Dooney website and from dept. stores.  I never had a problem with any of these bags wearing out and didn't matter where these bags were purchased.  My dooney bags will outlive any human on the planet.  

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023

I hope I didn't offend you with my post.  I own several Dooney & Bourke myself although I rarely use them because of the weight.  I was able to purchase them because of QVC offering easy pay. I only use mine for church when I am not carrying a lot.   I will say that the older ones seem a better quality than my most recent purchase of  The Lexington though.  I do like the shape and size of the Lexington but the zipper is almost impossible to close.  I'm sure it will outlast me. 

My only point was that quality seems to go down for many products as popularity and increased demand goes up.