Respected Contributor

Seeing for the first time (yes I am not a constant watcher) a Lug bag called "vegan faux leather" and wondering what can that be? Did a search and these are plastic/pleather bags!  Nearly $90 for a plastic bag, that's a lot for me to process. I have a couple cloth Lug bags that I love; the prices were good and I like using them in the summertime. This terminology kind of disappoints me. Rant over Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vegan Faux Leather Handbags

I saw them, and I would be hesitant to order one of those. I bought a Dennis Basso faux leather jacket a year or so ago, it was on clearance, which should have given me a clue. It looked and felt like plastic.

Trusted Contributor

I like vegan bags....nordstom has some really cute ones....the lug vegan bag looks really frumpy imo.

Honored Contributor

Clearly, Lug is trying to expand their niche... To this point, their focus has been on fabric, now they want to get into fake leather... They should probably stick with what they know... I have no problem with the occasional vinyl handbag, but am not going to pay top dollar for one...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I also think the "vegan" terminology is strange,  Just call it fake - or, if you must, faux - leather.

Super Contributor

That bag was way too big for me.  I didn't want to carry the kitchen sink.  Only thing I did like was the slate blue color.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I believe the 'vegan' designation for pleather ostensibly is supposed to have something to do with the way an item is manufactured, my guess is it's little more than a marketing tool designed to make a fake leather bag seem more desirable.

As for this Lug fake leather line, I said it before but I'll say it again, asking $60 for a fake leather wallet is a complete non-starter for me. Leather wallets can be had for that price or less and if one chooses to have a non-leather wallet, they too can be had for a good bit less than sixty bucks. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I'm glad to see more vegan items.  It's good to have a compassionate choice, but I agree about pricing.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of "vegan leather", also known as synthetic plastic. Just the fact that they named it "vegan leather" to minimize the impact of it being plastic, seems a little deceptive to me.  It just doesn't appeal to me at alll. I have seen some at TJM and if I were to try one, I would get one there because they are inexpensive- 

Occasional Contributor

Agree about the language. I have similar issues with "plant-based meat" and "vegan ice cream." Oh, and "almond milk." Smiley LOL