Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Love them when they are new - love the security features, but they do not stand the test of time. After about 6 to 10 months I have donated every one of mine because they just start looking worn out. For me - they are a one season only bag.

@151949

That's just the opposite for me.   I'm not very hard on bags ... they don't wear out and I either stack them in the closet or pass them along to friends and relatives.  I bought my current Travelon bag the summer after I retired ... 2011,  Looks almost new.

Honored Contributor
You can spend a lot of money on inexpensive handbags, or invest in ones that last. This thread is proof of that. That's all.
Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:
You can spend a lot of money on inexpensive handbags, or invest in ones that last. This thread is proof of that. That's all.

Some people don't want to carry heavy leather handbags - some don't want to carry a material created from a dead animal - some simply can't afford $400 to $600 purses - and some , like me , just don't see a need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on "designer" anything. It is a matter of personal choice - and I have as much right to chose to buy less expensive bags as you do to buy very expensive ones.

Honored Contributor

I'd never donate a worn out, beaten up handbag.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have no desire to carry heavy leather bags. And I am a very careful spender so I do not buy $300 purses. I tend more toward Vera Bradley or Bella Taylor or Sak crochet bags. You guys are welcome to your Coach, D&B  or LV bags - I won't be fighting you for them.I have an absolute budget of $70 and for that price I can find nice quality, pretty purses to carry that last for me a long time. In my life , and the people I spend my time with, I don't think anyone is particularly impressed by name brands on bags or if a purse is out of or in style.

You are assuming people who have those bags buy them to impress friends or family. That is silly.

Respected Contributor

I'd rather buy one good bag than 10 cheap ones. 

Quality over quanity is my motto. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Travelon bags

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

I got tired of spending $70 on a new bag twice a  year.     I prefer to pay more to get more and have it last for years and years and still look new.

I got tired of wasting money

Many people agree with you , and it's a valid point. But I get bored carrying the same bag year in & year out to justify a high cost, so that doesn't work for me. 

In high school I purchased a Ettienne Aigner bag with my first paycheck. I carried that purse for years and actually, still have it 51 years later.Now a days I don't want to carry the same bag all the time.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

Some people don't want to carry heavy leather handbags - some don't want to carry a material created from a dead animal - some simply can't afford $400 to $600 purses - and some , like me , just don't see a need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on "designer" anything. It is a matter of personal choice - and I have as much right to chose to buy less expensive bags as you do to buy very expensive ones.

It is a matter of quality over quantity. Most of my handbags are coated cotton. As far as I know they are not from a dead animal. They also don't cost $400 to $600.00. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

It is a matter of quality over quantity. Most of my handbags are coated cotton. As far as I know they are not from a dead animal. They also don't cost $400 to $600.00. 

I bet those coated cotton bags have leather trim - if they are D&B they definitely do, so they are indeed made of the skin of a animal.

Respected Contributor

I appreciate the information on the Travelon bags because I've been looking at F12590. I thought it was cute and the price was right but not if it's a one season bag! Thanks @151949