Valued Contributor

Re: Today’s “painful purge”

I recently purged a lot of handbags, it was hard but I had too many and I was not using them. I gave them to a friend, she kept some and her daughter, she took the rest to her church and she said the ladies went wild and they all went to new homes.  I have gotten so many calls from ladies I don't know thanking me.  This makes me so happy that others have found happiiness.

Respected Contributor

@happilyretiredgirl wrote:

I recently purged a lot of handbags, it was hard but I had too many and I was not using them. I gave them to a friend, she kept some and her daughter, she took the rest to her church and she said the ladies went wild and they all went to new homes.  I have gotten so many calls from ladies I don't know thanking me.  This makes me so happy that others have found happiiness.

so nice of you and I feel the exact same way ❤️

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother   If you are interested, you can easily sell those handbags on Poshmark, I've sold over 100+ in the last year and it financed my trip to Europe last year and will probably cover the next trip.

Several posters on here have mentioned Poshmark, and I personally have made A LOT of money on there in this last year, getting rid of stuff around the house that I no longer want or need in preparation for moving once I retire. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@fairydogmother   If you are interested, you can easily sell those handbags on Poshmark, I've sold over 100+ in the last year and it financed my trip to Europe last year and will probably cover the next trip.

Several posters on here have mentioned Poshmark, and I personally have made A LOT of money on there in this last year, getting rid of stuff around the house that I no longer want or need in preparation for moving once I retire. 

I took a look at the website. So they send you a postage paid label? What's the best way to package a bag for shipping- any tips you can share?

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother  Basically you take pictures, including any flaws and write a brief description and post your item for the price you want to sell it for.  Poshmark takes 20% off the price, so price it a little higher to account for what they will take, plus I always increase it a little, so I can accept offers since most people will make an offer.  You can accept, counter offer, or decline.  Buyer pays directly to Poshmark and also pays for shipping (up to 5 pounds)

Once they purchase it, you get a label emailed to you and you package it up (free priority boxes at the post office), and ship it out.  The buyer pays for postage as long as it's under 5 pounds.  Poshmark provides tracking and as soon as they accept your order after it arrives or after 3 days, the money is deposited in your account.  You can request a check, or get a direct deposit, whichever you prefer.

It's really very simple and any issues that I've had (buyer claims it never arrived), or damaged during shipping, Poshmark still gave me my funds, after they do their "investigation".  

I'm just over $19K so far selling items I no longer need or want, but I'm pretty active with posting items, sharing items, and pricing competitively.  As long as the package is under 5 lbs the buyer pays a flat rate to Poshmark for shipping.  If over 5 pounds then the seller pays for the additional weight over the 5 pounds.  99% of my items are under 5 pounds, so I rarely have to pay for heavier items, and then price those accordingly. 

When I started other posters on here were helpful.  There are always those who have a negative experience, but for me, I've purchased some great items, and sold a lot of items that I would have either donated or sold at a garage sale for a lot less.

Just do a search of something that interests you on their site, and it will give you an idea of what is available and how they price their items.

I was never interested in e-bay because of the way they do shipping costs and I didn't want to figure it all out, so the preaddressed label is perfect for me and that's one of the reasons that I like Poshmark so much. 

When shipping, I go through all the pockets and make sure it's clear of any of my items, put it in the dustbag that it came with, wrap it in tissue, and put into a box with tissue paper, bubble wrap, or other paper.  I usually include a brief "thank you for the order, hope you love it!", and ship it out.  If your bag is large, you will need to provide a larger box, but most handbags can fit into the free boxes the post office provides. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

It is hard to let go but if not ready then wait until the next go round I always say.  Your choice.  

I donated some purses to church rummage and was easy for me because good cause and down size what I am carrying.  Just depends when and what changes.

Next rummage sale is in September and one box ready so far..  Last one I did not do clothes and this time I am.  

So far 3 dresses, 2 layering pieces, 5 skirts and 10 dressier pants.  Closet looks better and easier to get to stuff.  Items I have not worn in ages.

I also am doing a 40 day challenge.  Wear what I have and by the time I am off work a week the closet task is done.  I started on 5/26.  

I am also not buying any new clothes no matter how much I think I need.   So far doing great.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother - you posted this same type of thread back in January. Is this another go round at purging your collection or did you purge, restock and are purging again?

No judgement from me, just asking.  I buy too many purses that I "just love" and then I sometimes I change my mind after carrying some of them a few times.  I've turned very fickle. I don't know why. 

Some I buy and love and carry for a long time. Some I love and carry for a short time and then don't like them anymore. It irritates me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  Wow thank you so much for the detailed info!!

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@fairydogmother - you posted this same type of thread back in January. Is this another go round at purging your collection or did you purge, restock and are purging again?

No judgement from me, just asking.  I buy too many purses that I "just love" and then I sometimes I change my mind after carrying some of them a few times.  I've turned very fickle. I don't know why. 

Some I buy and love and carry for a long time. Some I love and carry for a short time and then don't like them anymore. It irritates me.

I did a purge last winter. Bought a few new bags. But now have decided to start carrying my firearm again, so that greatly limits my choices. Hence, I've decided to get rid of every purse that won't accommodate my pistol, and pare down to one or two CCW bags plus a couple of small crossbodies 

Harmonize the World