Respected Contributor

Time to hit the refresh button

I have been working as an independent contractor/freelancer and from time to time I start looking for something more stable, etc. Have posted about this before. In addition to reviewing and updating my skill set, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps the interview wardrobe could stand a bit of refreshing.   I have been using the Coach field bag. Very classic and not huge. But in dark navy. For some reason, they never released it  in black. I always wear black, because I have yet to have found suitable attire in navy. I love the bag because it's such a classic. I don't want to be so classic that I look older than I am. I can recall when it was appropriate to carry both two bags.

Anyway, I have decided that one way to refresh the look is with different shoes and bag. I dont' do this every year. It couldn't hurt. I know that I am definitely not getting a $500-plus bag. (Even my $500 Coach was purchased at sale price.) I am aiming for respectable. Since I don't have a car, this bag has to accommodate  a lot of stuff that you normally wouldn't be carrying with you: shoes, umbrella, folders of resumes, etc.

I avoid MK bags like the plague for various reasons; I know they are much-loved, but not by me.  I looked Vince Camuto and don't like the straps.

Q recently had its free shipping promotion and I took the opportunity to order the GILI square shopper, the saffiano Dooney Flynn and the Dooney Florentine crossbody zip that resembles the Zip Sac of old. 

The GILI is scheduled for delivery today; I like the look of the profie and it looks very classic; redolent of a Mulberry bag.  I have never ordered a GILI bag and hoping this one is OK, since it isn't a TSV. It's black bebble, has a shoulder/crossbody strap and should be large enough to accommodate a folder or two. I also like the Radley version of this bag, but I don't it large enough. Those are actually on sale directly from the Radley web site. There is one thing that it lacks and that is a shoulder strap. I had considered the Dooney Florentine large Amelia, but it's really under 13 inches across and as far as I can tell, you cannot remove the shoulder strap. I don't want to go much larger 14 inches, because I am not not tall, but I'm not tiny. In any event, it shouldn't be huge. 

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks for reading.

Respected Contributor

Re: Time to hit the refresh button

@JavaQueen  I can't make a suggestion on a particular bag, since my own taste is not the same brands as yours.  One other thing, though......you say you always wear black.  Are you sure you want to carry a black bag too?  I think you should try adding a little color, or maybe a soft metallic gold or silver bag.  JMO, but I wouldn't want to look like I was going to a funeral, rather than an interview!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@JavaQueen

I understand the dilemma of not having a car and the need to have necessities close at hand when doing projects as a free lancer.  Having lived in both corporate and entrepreneurial worlds, it is important to not look “burdened” when making contacts.

Think of streamlining the paper stuff as much as possible: use modern technology ( thumb drives, etc. )for sharing paper...resumes, reports, research articles, etc.  Excellent opportunity for follow up with good quality resume and cover letter to set up another meeting to move the contact forward.

Why the need to carry shoes ?  Wear what is comfortable and considered acceptable in your region.  Suggestion: go to where professionals in your area ( geographic or expertise ) congregate for coffee or lunch....even check out end of day.  What do they wear or carry....I am not thinking about running shoes!

If you have to do a lot of walking, perhaps there is a locker where you can stow bulky shoes. Etc.

How do the different items worn / carried compare to your ensemble ?  Perhaps it would be helpful to make a list of every item you are concerned with: color, texture, tote bags, brief cases, etc. and make notes as memory can get fuzzy when too many things are considered.

Umbrella....look for the most compact.  Some purses and briefcases have a compartment on the bottom for umbrellas and micro rain capes.

At one point, I even used a black small rolling bag when I had to have handouts at a sales meeting.

Be careful in not using very expensive items: some folks will keep looking at them and wonder if they are paying you too much, missing the points you are trying to make, envying your things.  At one point, I had to stop a one-on-one meeting to explain that the watch they were looking at was a 40th birthday gift from DH !  Lesson learned !

Hope this helps.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Just browse a number of websites to get ideas and for heaven's sake, don't limit your search to just to brands sold here. There are so many functional and versatile bags out there... I'm not sure employers, even corporate employers, are as stuffy as they might once have been, so while I wouldn't select a blinged out bag, I don't think black is absolutely necessary either... That said, a wonderful black bag can be very satisfying and is universal.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

There are a few Frye handbags in the Melissa line that might work for you.  I really like the look and feel of the leather, although they can be on the heavy side.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Thanks all for weighing in.

No I'm not going to limit myself here. That's for certain.

Just thought I would look around while I have a chance and I'm not all stressed out and pressured. 

As I type this, I realize that the pack set to be delivered today won't be. They do automated thing that says they "attempted to deliver" and then you reschedule. Total waste of time. Usually I have packages delivered to the post office. Now I know why!  A reminder to check out offereings in B&M.

Again, thanks all for your input.