Honored Contributor

Re: Tignanello-is it being phased out?

@Bird mama wrote:

Hi Max @maximillian  it's been a few years now since Tignanello had dedicated shows on a regular basis.  What's even weirder is that I went to Tignanello dot com and on the home page there is a shop now button and when I clicked on it - I ended up on QVC.  

When I poked around online, here's what I found:

Bruce Makowsky built a fashion business in New York selling designer handbags through over 1,300 department stores and QVC.  He and his wife, Kathy Van Zeeland, sold handbags and shoes for 30 years through their flagship labels Kathy Van Zeeland Handbags, B. Makowsky and Tignanello. The couple sold the company in 2008 tto Li & Fung Ltd based in Hong Kong.

Expanding on what you posted @Bird mama - Some years ago when I was new to QVC this was my favorite line. Then I found this. I left about the same time Alison (who now reps Vera Bradley) left. This is from 2009, so some of the information is outdated!

Tignanello is the name of a wine. The company was started by Leonard Dreyfuss, who apparently sold to Kathy Van Zeeland (not too much info about this). KVZ started her company in 2004, after working at a number of retailers (one was Ann Taylor). 

Last fall, Hong Kong company Li and Fung bought Van Zeeland, Inc. (KVZ, B Mak, and Tig) for $330 million. The one article said Van Zeeland, Inc. supplied handbags to Macy's Inc. and J.C. Penney's, as well as Wal Mart and Target. 

I read some legal documents that said Li and Fung also acquired Toys R Us, Timberland, and Tommy Hilfiger. 

Li and Fung is referred to as the Group. The document said they were the world's leading buying agency for consumer goods. By acquiring Van Zeeland, Inc., they will be established as "the leading handbag supplier in the US across all retail distribution channels." 

Kathy Van Zeeland and Bruce Makowsky will remain in charge of operations. 

Honored Contributor

I wondered what happened to this line.  I have a couple of these bags that I purchased several years ago and they are still in perfect condition.  In fact, I am carrying one right now and it is like my favorite bag!  I liked them because they used to be very nice leather,  beautiful details, not heavy, well made and the price was right.  I do not spend a ton of money on bags any more.  Can't afford to and just don't want to.  I am not hard on my handbags and I like to switch them a lot.  Wish there was a line that offered all the above and was similar to Tig.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I think they'd still be around if the dumbed down version had been priced accordingly.  They were still over $100, with plastic handles, trim and bottom.  Really, how much of the bag was actually leather?  Half or less, I'd say.  That's fine if that's what you want; but let the price reflect it.

Honored Contributor

The sale of all the Van Zeeland owned brands to Fung took place a number of years ago. Kathy and Bruce did remain as company officers for a time, but have ostensibly been gone for several years. My guess is when he stopped rep-ing his brand here coincided with when he and Kathy were no longer part of the brands in any meaningful way. Fung/Global Brands has an interest in many, many brands and could well be willing to dilute one brand to promote the interests of another, who knows, but clearly, even though the Tig brand remained for several years after it was sold, it was badly diluted and the bags were not much like what they were at one time.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think they'd still be around if the dumbed down version had been priced accordingly.  They were still over $100, with plastic handles, trim and bottom.  Really, how much of the bag was actually leather?  Half or less, I'd say.  That's fine if that's what you want; but let the price reflect it.

@faeriemoon Once the brand was diluted, I did see it selling for less at a few other stores. Of course, as always, QVC tried to charge full retail... even given that what was suggested as full retail for those bags, once they became a hybrid... was more or less a joke.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I have thought that for awhile. Too many high end bags I can't afford or just don't want to spend lots of money on. They used to have something for everyone. Now, it's $150 plus for anything substantial. $75 might get you a very small cross body. I need something bigger. 

We used to have an outlet store that sold Etienne Aigner bags for 50% off. It is gone now. People say go to Ross or TJMaxx, but I haven't been luck enough to find anything high end for a bargain.