Trusted Contributor

Love tooled leather. I have a Patricia Nash tooled leather shoulder bag. They get better with age.

Honored Contributor

@NEvans2  Patricia Nash makes some really nice tooled bags.  I don't care for her other bags but have often admired her tooled leather. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I had a tooled vachetta leather handbag that had a reversible flap as a teen. I loved it! It was a western style bag and I wouldn't mind getting another one as I wore that one until the reversible side -- horse hair or calf hair -- went bald in spots.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I've never considered a tooled handbag, thinking they were a bit too Western for  me. But in looking for a red bag, I came across this Ropin West tote. It's a good size and has good reviews.

Does one wear this type of bag for only casual purposes, or would you also wear it to dinner or something?

All opinions welcome!

Red

I would wear it with everything and take it everywhere ... I think it's gorgeous~!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3

When my daughter was growing up, she owned a horse and was very much into dressage and horse shows.  As a result, we often ended up in some very high end  tack stores. 

This bag reminds me of the amazing leather handbags sold in these stores.  I can't remember the name brand, but the logo was a heart and there was always beautiful hand tooling on the bag.  There was always a silver heart somewhere on the handbag. They were more often than not, kept in a locked glass case. 

A bag similar to yours, size, and tooling could easily run upwards of $900 and up.   I'm sure they still sell them and they are probably much more these days.  

Your bag is gorgeous and I'd use it every chance I had.  

Respected Contributor

Brighton Handbags - Brighton Leather Mock Croc Bag

@Retired08Were the bags "Brighton"?

Respected Contributor

Re: This tooled bag

[ Edited ]

@VenturaHighway

YES!!!!  Thank goodness you know them.  I just could not pull the name from my forgetful memory. 

Aren't the bags just beautiful?  The price was always prohibitive for me to own one, but I've always admired the craftsmanship.    You can purchase a large D & B for the price of a very small Brighton, but gosh, they are sure nice.

Respected Contributor

@Retired08 wrote:

@VenturaHighway

YES!!!!  Thank goodness you know them.  I just could not pull the name from my forgetful memory. 

Aren't the bags just beautiful?  The price was always prohibitive for me to own one, but I've always admired the craftsmanship.    You can purchase a large D & B for the price of a very small Brighton, but gosh, they are sure nice.

@Retired08I have several that I have bought at consignment and thrift stores. Very nice bags. I also have Brighton jewerly. I have a local consignment store that I call the "Magic Shop" because of the great name-brand bags for very good prices.

I was lucky enough one day when I stopped that a lady had brought in a bunch of "Brighton" stuff. I bought almost everything she had brought into the shop.

I think a lot of people don't care for it because some of it does look western.

Respected Contributor

@VenturaHighway

You are probably right when you say that most people think "western" when they see them. You are very lucky to have a shop where you can find them reasonably priced.

I must be very out of date because I don't think western I  just think craftsmanship. I remember the wonderful smell of those leather shops.  

If that's your navy bag, cherish it.  It's beautiful!!  And, in truth, quality never goes out of style. 

Occasional Contributor

I love hand tooled bags! I'd wear it anywhere except to a black tie red carpet event! Gorgeious!! Mollyd