Esteemed Contributor

If you haven't yet read about The RealReal's alleged shady business practices, take a look at CNBC's investigative report and videoclip on youtube.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/05/the-realreals-no-fakes-pledge-is-threatened-by-poor-training-quotas....

The video is in the article but it's also on youtube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgidDGL8obk

The RealReal’s shares plunge as poor training and tough quotas cast doubt on ‘no fakes’ pledge

I'm putting this in the handbags forums because a lot of what they resell are preowned luxury handbags. It's surprising just how much inventory wasn't properly checked to see if they were fakes or counterfeits and how little or no training the people that work there have/had to spot a fake.

Basically copywriters who wrote the copy to sell an item were authenticating a lot of the merchandise without knowing what they were doing.

Just how much funny business was going on in this tech business is a question I would have since they only became a publicly traded company this past summer.

Esteemed Contributor

My jaw dropped.😲 That is infuriating. Even though ebay and some others are notorious for that, I would expect better from a business that CLAIMS to authenticate all of their bags. It is getting to a point where you can't trust ANYTHING. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Re: The RealReal

[ Edited ]

The only guarantee is to buy new directly from designers' own stores.

Some years ago, Neiman Marcus received a shipment of counterfeit handbags.

Louis Vuitton caught it's own manufacturer making the same LV handbags for sale on the black market that hadn't been licensed by LV.  

It's become a real headache for high end designers because counterfeiters are making their products, in some cases exactly like the real thing using the same materials.  

FYI...most counterfeits come from China.  

Trusted Contributor

I've seen the commercials....when I see the odd combinations of clothing the models wear....uhm...if that's designer/couture....then count me out. I'll stick with my good old jeans and a t-shirt.😉

Respected Contributor

Once I was chatting with a LV person in a NM store. He said the fakes are so good that the LV company thought the countfeiters had original plates. 

Talking to a younger gal when she made a comment. When she sees someone carrying a LV bag she just assumes it is a fake. 

I have bought LV bags for 40 years and given them as gifts. I'm not sure it is money well spent unless the purchase brings you enjoyment beyond the cost. 

I do enjoy upscale accessories.

Honored Contributor

That doesn't surprise me at all.  I have visited the site, just to window shop but there is no way in the world that I would have ever bought something.  The risk of fraud or error in authenticating is just too great.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Once I was chatting with a LV person in a NM store. He said the fakes are so good that the LV company thought the countfeiters had original plates. 

Talking to a younger gal when she made a comment. When she sees someone carrying a LV bag she just assumes it is a fake. 

I have bought LV bags for 40 years and given them as gifts. I'm not sure it is money well spent unless the purchase brings you enjoyment beyond the cost. 

I do enjoy upscale accessories.

Exactly.  The counterfeiters aren't selling on the streets of on websites anymore.  They upped their game.  I read that counterfeit bags are so good now that they are practically indistinguishable from the real thing and many retailers have them on their shelves and they don't even know it.  I bought my LV almost 30 years ago when I was young and foolish and I had to put it on two credit cards.  I gave it to my daughter when she was in college, she had it most of the time anyway.  The thrill was over for me by then.