Valued Contributor

TSV....Shades Of Kathy Van Z?

I am a bit gob smacked at the similarity between Amy K's TSV purse and KVZ's purses from a few years ago.  Especially the two toned ones. I am wondering if any of you have noticed this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TSV....Shades Of Kathy Van Z?

I don't see the resemblance as KVZ's bags were always plastic and fake looking with gaudy hardware including that big metal crown.

But kVZ was sold to Li & Fung years ago and Aimee worked for Li & Fung before founding her own line of bags.

i don't doubt that Li & Fung's spun off company Global Brands Group manufactures or is contracted or licensed to manufacture the many brands of bags you see on shopping channels or find in bricks and mortar stores.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

good-morning-image.jpg (600×410):

About a month ago I saw very similar ones in Wal-Mart. I wasn't shopping but walking through the aisles and noticed them. I had a similar thought, but many bags look so much like others. There are probably only a few things you can do differently from others season after season and constantly come up with new concepts.

I don't buy KVZ or Aimee's bags.

But of the two designers, I always thought KVZ bags were hideous, tacky, gawdy and cheap looking.

I think many of Aimee's are very nice but I will not pay these designer prices  for a handbag. I catch the more expensive ones on a good sale price or do without.

Super Contributor

KVZ bags were never real leather and had a lot of bling, so no, I don't see a resemblance.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Honored Contributor

I don't own any AK bags and I won't be buying the TSV, but these bags don't look like the Kathy bags to me.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry, but I don't see any resemblance at all.  Aimee's bags can be edgy, but are still classy looking.  Kathy's bags were gaudy and did not show any artistry.  That hardware on them was ridiculous looking.  I never was tempted to buy one of Kathy's. 

Honored Contributor

No, with all due respect I don't see KVZ's similarity to Kestenburg bags at all.... I bought one early on at Stein Mart when I saw it but that was before all the bling.  Then tried one purchased from QVCyears later and sent it back.  Never bought another one. 

The TSV looked like a combo between the fold over Dooneys and the earlier (2005, etc.)  Blaenciaga satchel (with leather tassels hanging from all the zippers.   I like both those styles and thought the TSV was attractive (style just not all that original).  I thought the treatment of some of the leathers was interesting.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Nope, really can't say I see much similarity. To be sure, there are only so many handbag silhouettes, so there are always some similarities of style among all the designers, but otherwise, these AK bags don't put me in the mind of Kathy's bags. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

While watching the presentation, l was thinking that the multicolor choices looked like faux leather (even though they're not). So, in that respect l see the similarity to KVZ's bags, which were faux leather. I think the only AK bags that looked like real leather were the solid colors.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

KVZ bags had too much hardware on them for my taste. I have never owned one of Aimee's  handbags, but this TSV today has really called my name. The Sangria is the one I chose at midnight. I love all the pockets, the way she designed that fold over  zip top that is a separate compartment, the back pocket with magnet. Heart