Honored Contributor

Success at cleaning stain off light colored bag

I got a grayish toned stain on the back of my misty rose Oryany Danielle bag a couple months ago. I had tried spit, because I was in the car when I found it. I had tried a damp cloth when I got home. It lightned but came back when it dried. I figured I'd live with it since it's on the back. Well today I decided to try a dry Mr Clean magic erase, which did fade it some but I was afraid of damaging the leather so I didn't want to keep using it. I broke out the saddle soap and that removed the stain and I'm happy to report that none of the methods I tried removed any of the dye from the leather. 

Thrilled to have a clean bag again and now I'm not as reluctant to buy the white bag I've been coveting. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: Success at cleaning stain off light colored bag

Good job, jaxs mom!  Thanks for the tip.  I have saddle soap but have been afraid to use it on fine leather bags because I wasn't sure it wouldn't damage them.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Well I posted a little prematurely, now that's totally dry it's back but it's significantly faded. I'm not sure what's with this stain. It seems to disappear when cleaning and then come back. I decided to try a dry microfiber cleaning cloth like you use for cleaning your comptuer screen or eye glasses and whatever it was rubbed right off. It looked like it was peeling off the leather. I will say one thing, After all the things I tried I still never got any of the leather color to rub off. I can't say the same when I tried cleaning my pebble leather Dooney bag, which did rub off the color onto the cloth. 

Esteemed Contributor

Do you think that the grayish stain was color that came off your jeans? That is one of my pet peeves with light colored bags is that they can pick up unwanted dye from jeans.

Honored Contributor

No, it's not. I've seen that type of dye transfer before. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

Do you think that the grayish stain was color that came off your jeans? That is one of my pet peeves with light colored bags is that they can pick up unwanted dye from jeans.

I ruined the silicone white strap on a new watch when indigo from my jeans rubbed off onto it.  It won't come off with any treatment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Well the stain is still gone so it seems like the microfiber cloth proved to be the go to. I'll have to try that again next time I notice a stain. 

Respected Contributor

jaxs mom, was the cloth dry or did you dampen it?

Respected Contributor

Never mind. I just re-read your post. You mentioned it was dry. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Every once in a while I'll get a mysterious blue/grey large stain (for lack of a better word) on a light colored leather bag.  I don't know where it comes from because I seldom wear denim in the summer.  I have never been able to get it off.  I'll clean it and think I've gotten it off, but alas, when it has completely dried, it's back again.  Can't figure out where it comes from and why I can't get rid of it.