Respected Contributor

Striations in leather Isaac M. bag.

OK, "bag ladies." Smiley Happy

I just received an Isaac M. small quilted leather handbag. At $125 plus tax and ship. It's of higher quality than expected and has all the pockets in the right places.  I detected a 'chemical smell' that actually has abated. I was ready to keep this and then I noticed the striations on the bottom of the bag.

Yes, I know leather is a natural material and you can get striations. But would this be considered a "defect?" If this were a $300 bag and it were in the store, I wouldn't pick it. I would make someone get me another one.

Would the Q consider a defect if I return it. It is on the bottom of the bag and eventually the leather would stretch out, since this is lambskin.

Here's a pic and please keep in mind that no, I haven't carried. Greatly appreciate input. Thanks for all.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll261/blueeyz_2007_photos/s1pix/purse_zpsw2oignck.jpg[/IMG]

Honored Contributor

Re: Striations in leather Isaac M. bag.

JQ...  unless it's my eyes (entirely possible) or the picture, this looks like pretty much a normal grained leather to me. The contrast between the unquilted bottom and the rest of the bag might make it stand out more and you probably weren't acticipating seeing any grain in the leather. It's such an individual thing, but if I otherwise liked the bag, this probably wouldn't bother me. Would they consider it a defect? I suspect that if you mark it as such they'll likely honor it but have no way of knowing if I'm right.  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Thanks, stevieb.

It's possible that they might smooth a little bit It is on the bottom. Leather does stretch after all.

Frankly, I think it's because I am used to pebble and glove leathers. Lambskin is pretty soft. I also know that you get what you pay for. Do I want to gamble on an exchange? Unless it's really defective (broken zipper, clasp, etc. ), no.

Again, thanks for your input.

JQ.

Honored Contributor

Not sure which bag you got, but if it's the slightly domed satchel, I got it back when it was new and really like it.  I'd been waiting for it to go on clearance since I liked it enough to get it in either black or red, but managed to miss it altogether... Oh well! Hope it works our for you and I agree with you, if everything else about the bag is a keeper, well, it's just the bottom and might not be worth risking getting a seriously defective bag, assuming they have replacements.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Took another look at the bag this morning. They are up the sides too. Sigh. On the bottom, I live with it. On the sides for a full price bag, no.