Honored Contributor

@henderson  It seems to me that at one time there was a lot of discussion here on the boards about how the quality of Stone Mountain bags had gone downhill since they began manufacturing them in China. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've had many Stone Mountain bags throughout the years and always happy with them. The last two I bought were the same bag and different colors - I liked them that much.

I notice Vermont Country is still carrying them.

The last two I bought were about five years old and I donated them. They never wear out.

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

I just received my first Stone Mountain bag and I love it!!  It is the Donna tote in Bone/Navy.   I have a Dooney bag and a few Tig bags and neither can hold a candle to the quality of this one.   And it's made in the USA!!    Dooney's are heavy and Tigs have gotten cheap looking.   I will be buying another one soon.

@Junebug54  I have both Dooney and Stone Mountain bags (and a few Tigs) and while SM is a nice inexpensive, utilitarian bag, to suggest they are better quality than Dooneys is riduculous ; they're not even in the same class. The Dooneys are heavier because they are a substantial, fine quality leather and with care will last a lifetime.  They are better constructed of finer materials. 

Stone Mountain bags are made in China. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: Stone Mountain

[ Edited ]

I bought my first Stone Mountain bag in the early 80's.  It was a navy hobo bag and I wore it to death.  I had never paid $80 for a handbag before, but I did really love it.  I also loved that they were made in the USA.  I thought they sold out to China.  Are they back to producing in the USA?  That would be fantastic!

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624    I respect your opinion but I personally love the feel of Stone Mountain over Dooney.    Thank you for your response but I will continue to carry my SM.    Thank too for informing me that I was wrong about where they are made.    I apologize for that glaring error.    Have a wonderful day!

Honored Contributor

Re: Stone Mountain

[ Edited ]

I haven't heard much about Stone Mountain for years and years. I know at the time some of the older ladies I worked with liked them. They always seemed like well made bags using decent leather, if a bit on the bland side. I see them occasionally at TJ Maxx, usually in the 49 to 59 dollar price range.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

I bought my first Stone Mountain bag in the early 80's.  It was a navy hobo bag and I wore it to death.  I had never paid $80 for a handbag before, but I did really love it.  I also loved that they were made in the USA.  I thought they sold out to China.  Are they back to producing in the USA?  That would be fantastic!

@saltysailsFunny, I think that is about the time I bought my first one. And it was a navy hobo too. Bought it at Burlington coat factory in Wichita, Kansas. Loved that bag.

Trusted Contributor

@henderson wrote:

According to the Stone Mountain website, their handbags are made in China.  I think years ago they were made in the USA.

Where are Stone Mountain products manufactured?
Presently Stone Mountain products are manufactured in the finest factories, using the highest level of craftsmanship and materials, in China. Our headquarters are based in New York City and our distribution center is located in South Brunswick, New Jersey.

The bags are nice,  but none of the straps stay on your shoulder....that is a pet peeve with me.  They and so many other brand names just slip off your shoulder.....that is the 1 reason I do have a Vera bag...the quilted cotton straps always stay on my shoulder...

Trusted Contributor

Guess I will return mine so as not to look like an old lady.    

Respected Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

Guess I will return mine so as not to look like an old lady.    

@Junebug54Well, I still carry mine and even though I'm 65, I'm not old. I think they are just a plain leather bag but nothing wrong with that. I have many plain leather name-brand bags. But I like the simple look.